You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

garen

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 10:41pm

RC1260 replacement Imperial valves

I have Imperial valves in my system. The only controller with enough transformer output has been the Rainbird RC1260. Mine works fine but I would like the versatility of a programmable controller. Anyone know of a digital that has output to handle the 1.7 amp solenoids on the Imperial valves?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 9th 2012, 7:49am

Only a top-of-the-line solid-state controller will give you that capability. You won't find it for cheap.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 9th 2012, 8:16am

If you have any do-it-yourself electronics aspirations, you could create an assembly of small relays, one for each sprinkler zone. Each relay would connect between the controller and the zone valve. You would have to supply the higher-power 24VAC separately.

Thursday, August 9th 2012, 7:48pm

I don't mind spending some money to buy a good, programable timer. I just don't know where to start looking for something with the amperage I need. Any suggestions on brand or model?
I thought about something like the second suggestion with the relay and could do that, but I would sure like to have something cleaner than that. I've also thought about replacing all valves, but there are 12 and it would be quite a job.

Thursday, August 9th 2012, 8:14pm

Since I need 1.7 amps, what do you think of a Rainbird ESP12LXME with 1.9 amp output?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 10th 2012, 8:14am

You can't just look at a controller's supply transformer (even though it's not a bad place to start) because the modern controllers employ an internal "electric circuit breaker" that may determine your perfectly-okay Imperial solenoid is a short circuit.

By the way, did you employ an amperage meter to get the 1.7 amp figure?

Thursday, August 23rd 2012, 7:12pm

I installed a Rainbird ESP12LXME today. Works perfectly.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 24th 2012, 8:00am

Thank you for the follow-up. Does the new controller display any information about the current being drawn by the solenoids?

Rate this thread