You are not logged in.

dhow

Monday, August 13th 2012, 1:28pm

2 Valves Open at Same Time

I have 2 valves opening at the same time to 2 separate zones. My water presure is not strong enough for 2 zones. Just started doing this after I fixed a break in a water line. I did not do anything to the wiring except move it around while digging to fix the line. I disconnected the wire at the controller for valve 1 but they still both came on when I turn on valve 2. I reconnected valve 1 & disconnected valve 2 but still they both came on when I turn on valve 1.
It seems to be an electrical issue but I don't understand how the power is turned on from the controller to 2 valves at the same. Anyone got an idea how to troubleshoot this?

Monday, August 13th 2012, 2:07pm

My first step would be to confirm it's the wiring.
Find the valve for either zone. Turn the bleed screw or solenoid and turn it on manually.
Do both zones come on? If so they are cross linked in the piping.
If not you have to start tracing wires.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 13th 2012, 2:56pm

Is there a master valve? Do the zone valves have flow controls?

mrfixit

Monday, August 13th 2012, 10:25pm

You said you moved some wires around. Maybe the casing has come off the wiring and now two wires are touching when they're not supposed to.

dhow

Saturday, August 18th 2012, 9:25pm

2 Valves Open at Same Time

Turned on each valve manually & they are working independently. So the water lines are not crossed. It is the wiring causing the problem. But I can't see or find any place where the casing is torn or wires are touching in the area where I fixed the water leak. How do I trace the wiring? Start digging? My back hurts just thinking about it. :cursing: Or can I test with a multimeter? Of course the system is 20 years old, maybe some new wiring is in order.

Rate this thread