You are not logged in.

spair2

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 4:51am

For all who see this page, the original post was in 2004. Today there is a very cheap way to make this bore. please see www.originalbonehead.com It's like a having a boring machine in your tool box.

Monday, July 16th 2007, 11:45pm

I just made it under my 12 foot driveway. It was a tough job, but only took 6 hours.

There was no way that you could beat anything under the concrete because of the large aggregate.

I used a 0 degree tip on my 4000 psi pressure washer. This would allow me to go a few feet, after which I would have to connect a 1.5 inch pipe to my shop vac to suck out the rocks.

Unless you were to use a diamond drill bit, there is no way any other option would have succeeded in my opinion.

edwildesr

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 1:55pm

The Borit tool really saved me! Quotes from sprinkler companies (if they ever showed up..) were about $1,000 for a 14 ft driveway, no obstructions. For that price I could cut and cover and repave the whole driveway. I bought a Borit from the manufacturer on their Ebay site. Using the trench previously made by my ditch witch rental, we lined up the Borit, combined a 10 and 4 ft section of 3/4 inch pipe, and a 3/4" right angle drill from Home Depot rentals and in about 20 minutes we reached the other side. At first we hit a gravel lense in the subbase so I lifted the pipe a bit and dove under the gravel coming out through stiff clay about a foot lower on the other side which for the sleeve insertion didn't affect anything. Used a 3" inch Borit bit which allowed for a 2" sch 40 PVC sleeve. This sleeve had room for a 1 1/4" supply line and controller cable to be run under the drive.

The Borit didn't fit the 1/2" industrial B&D drill I first rented, and that drill was too wide for the 4" trench. The 3/4" right angle drill had more torque and the right angle feature kept the motor above the ditch and water backflow. We dug a short and deep side trench hole at the bore site to capture the water backflow and it helps to have someone bailing that hole with a half gallon milk jug while drilling is underway. It took about 20 minutes! The Borit is well worth the investment even for a one time use!

Now that my system is running several neighbors are planning theirs and I am sure I can sell the Borit to one of them.

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 4:58am

Just take a 1 inch pipe put a 1 inch cap on it and take a sledge hammer and wack a way, here in texas we have clay and thats what we do.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 2:05pm

More info on Borit, Borzit

For more info on using Boriit or Borzit, search for thereads using Borit in the subject line.

Jeff

Rate this thread