You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 28th 2004, 6:35pm

I finally DID IT !!!

The tried to follow up on the cost of boring, this time I got a quote of $300 for boring under a driveway (apparently the $10/ft ESTIMATE is for larger jobs I guess).

However, I think the $300 cost would have been worth it. It took three days worth of work (and I still have not finished).

The first difficult part was just digging the holes. Digging two holes 20" deep, and making one of them 5' long to give working room took some time. Gees, just getting the sod layer up took an hour. I've got clay mixed with lots of rock, and that stuff really holds on to that grass. I'd say that I spent a total of 3 hours just digging. I also spent a lot of time trying to make an initial 3' bore with a short piece of rebar to try to start as level as possible. Then I switched to a 14' piece of rebar and just bended it at the edge of the hole (the rebar has alot of give but overall, still stout). Overall, not too bad, started at 18" deep and my crude rebar pounding ended only 6" deeper and right in the middle of the second hole. But all those rocks made a real tough time of it. The real issue with the rocks was that it's a bunch of little ones with sharp edges, so even after pounding the rebar into the hole, I had to pound it back out because of the way the rocks would bite and hole the rebar.

I've so far I've spent way much more time on this than I ever imagined I would, and it's been much more difficult than expected, but I'm getting there. I've got a 1" piece of copper already placed in the bore (hope those joint don't leak, because I didn't have the opportunity to test them, but then again the only joints I've ever had leak on me were threaded joints). Still got to bore another smaller hole for the wire.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, May 3rd 2004, 5:08am

I am about to pave my diveway and currently only irrigate one one side, but for the future, what would you recommend burying to make it easier down the road?
Thanks,

Pete

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Monday, May 3rd 2004, 5:26am

Install a 4" PVC (Schedule 40) pipe underneath from one side to the other and cap it . This will allow you to feed water pipe and wiring without a problem.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, May 3rd 2004, 8:36am

That is what I was thinking but how deep should it be buried so driving does not crush it?
Thanks,

Pete

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, May 3rd 2004, 9:09am

If the ground is well packed around the pipe (perhaps encase it in sand?), I don't think you will have to worry about it getting crushed.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Monday, May 3rd 2004, 9:17am

as Hoo says encase it with sand if you can. Be sure to use schedule 40. The thicker the wall the better to withstand crushing

boritmfg

Monday, May 31st 2004, 8:16pm

If you are looking for an inexpensive way to bore under a driveway or sidewalk try our "Horizontal Earth Boring" tool. We are the original designer of this tool and for just over $200 you get the complete kit. Tool, 2" Bit, 3" Bit, & 4 3/4" Backreamer in a custom case backed with a lifetime warranty.
Wes Breecher
Borit Manufacturing

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 7:08pm

This is a late addition to this thread, but I can attest to using a Borit tool for crossing under large slabs. My father was an electrician and treasured his! We (the kids) were always the weekend and summer apprentices. [8D] With his HEAVY 3/4-inch drill and the Borit running conduit under driveways was fun (plenty of mud)! Even the tightest pavement sub-base could be penetrated with a little more "lean" put into it! [;)] Longest crossing I personally was involved with was 38 feet, which I recall took about an hour to cross. Beats the heck out of pounding black pipe for hours on end! Do be sure you keep the drill pipe level for the first ~4 feet or so otherwise you will loose it and angle deep missing your target.

You can often rent a Borit kit from a larger electrical supply house.

boritmfg

Wednesday, December 21st 2005, 4:33pm

geotexZ71 which supply houses rent the Borit Kit?
Wes Breecher
Borit Manufacturing

Jazzer K

Saturday, December 31st 2005, 10:23am

orbit makes a do-it-yourself water tuneling kit that has a jet nozzle that you put on a piece of pvc and hook up a garden hose. It may take a while but could save a few hundred bucks.
Kasper's Landscape & Design Inc.

Rate this thread