You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

danm

Monday, August 20th 2012, 11:46pm

Pressure regulator need and placement

I think I've found 80% of my answer in this forum. Thanks! I think I need a regulator, but I'm not sure where to put it.

I have 75 static PSI. My flow at a spigot with a 3/4" feed was 12gpm. The sprinkler is fed by a 1" main line connected within a couple feet of the house meter. My rotors are misting like crazy and have poor coverage in the midsection of the spray. I have Hunter I-20 Ulras, three or four per zone, with nozzles rated 2gpm @ 45psi. I also have a few zones with 4 Hunter Pro Sprays. They are working well. From what I've read, and my experience, pressure appears too high. I know its not in the 100's, but what else would cause such misting? I don't have the adjustment screw obstructing the nozzle hole or anything like that. I thought about going to 3gpm nozzles, but I don't want to affect the rest of the house too much. I have a Wilkins 720A backflow preventer on the main line.

I'd like to install a pressure regulator and turn it down until the misting stops, if someone agrees, unless someone has a better idea. Is this right?

Then, if it is right, is there any problem installing the regulator a couple feet downstream from the backflow preventer? I thought I read upstream is preferred, but my preventer is installed right outside the house, nestled between my deck's floor joists. It would be a mess to move. I do have a couple feet of copper inside the house, but I assume the regulator makes some noise.

Your thoughts?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 11:36am

Why not adjust the flow controls on the zone valves? Or maybe install a master valve with a pressure regulator on it. The master valve route can be less expensive, because you aren't buying a big chunk of brass. It also will maintain any needed flow and pressure better than a stand-alone PRV.

danm

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 4:06pm

Thanks for the quick response! I have PGV-100 valves, no flow control. But that makes me wonder if its easier to swap out the rotor zones' valves with PGV-101s, possibly just swapping the guts if I can confirm the bodies are the same.

That may add up to the same $ as a pressure regulator on the mainline, but give me more control. If I do end up with a mainline pressure regulator, do you see a problem installing it a couple feet downstream of the backflow preventer?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 6:24pm

I couldn't really recommend a standard PRV being installed after the system is designed and installed, because a PRV won't be wide open for full flow until it's dropping the pressure about 50 psi, and I have serious doubts whether the system would still be working at all.

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 8:10pm

I doubt it if by going to a larger nozzle if it will affect your house at all..

danm

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 8:35pm

Thank you both. I see two simple, cheap options to try. I can open up the nozzles and see how it impacts the house. And I can upgrade the valves on the rotor zones. Odds are I can just replace the top halves of my valves, leaving the connections in place. Thanks again!

Rate this thread