You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

prich01

Unregistered

Friday, August 24th 2012, 9:40pm

wiring repair help

Installing a new fence at the high school baseball field and while using an auger to dig post holes we hit an irrigation pipe and managed to also cut three irrigation wires. I managed to repair the pipe no problem but have not had any luck with the wires. There must be nearly 12-15 wires running along the pipeline. The irrigation system serves 7 zones on the baseball field and 4 on the softball field. All are single wires running along the pipe. The three that were cut are all red. I attempted to splice the three wires using common 16 gauge low voltage wire and thought I tried every combination but I could not get any zones to come on at either field. Is that wire not what I need? Am I doing something wrong? I may just have to call someone to come fix it because it needs to be done soon but I am baffled as to why that didnt work. Is there a way to tell which wires match each other? I am fairly certain that I have one pair figured out for sure but the other two pairs I'm not sure about.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

mrfixit

Friday, August 24th 2012, 10:47pm

Maybe you blew the fuse on the controller.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, August 24th 2012, 11:09pm

A tone probe, Multimeter is very much needed to fix this.. Extra items to help out is a remote and station master.

prich01

Unregistered

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 8:40pm

Well, after a day of troubleshooting it looks like the wiring is ok, fuse is ok, and all zones seem to be working. I just dont have any water pressure. I happened to catch a few sprinklers sputtering briefly that led me to this. No heads are popping up but if I manually pull them up when on there is some water flow (sprays about 18 inches) Air in the line? Some heads arent even getting enough pressure to move enough to let water out. Sounds like a leak but doesnt appear to be one anywhere. Im at a loss. 11 zones. All seem to be getting water, just no pressure. I had plenty of pressure before. What could have happened? (All hooked up to city water without a pump)

Leak? (Doesn't appear to be one)

Clogged Line (Took extra care to clean out pipe at location of the fix)

Air in line (Is that possible)

Any ideas?

mrfixit

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 10:15pm

Did you turn the water off to make the pipe repair?
Make sure the shut off valves are back on all the way. Check the one at the meter as well.
Could be a broken pressure regulator. Is there a regulator on the sprinkler system?

prich01

Unregistered

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 10:42pm

Turned water off at sprinkler system. Didnt touch valve at meter. Not sure about a pressure regulator? How would I know if I had one and why would it break all of the sudden?

prich01

Unregistered

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 10:42pm

The valve I closed to make repair is the same one I opened up all the way after the repair.

mrfixit

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 11:46pm

Sometimes those shut off valves will break inside and not turn back on all the way.
From my experience it's usually a ball valve that will open partially.
A gate valve will break in the off position.
Try opening and closing the valve with the sprinklers running and see if you can improve the flow.

prich01

Unregistered

Sunday, August 26th 2012, 8:48pm

Well, I checked the water meter today and with all the sprinklers off the meter was still running at a very good pace. Logically that would indicate another leak. Correct? We are talking about 2 1/2 inch pipe so what has me baffled is with the water running for around 48hrs why cant I locate the leak or even locate a wet spot? One would think that a leak that would drop my pressure so drastically would be easily located with a pipe that large. Any advice on how to locate the leak. I may just call the water department tomorrow and see what they have to say. Also, if each of the 11 zones has low pressure, the leak would have to be located somewhere before the system branches off into zones right?

mrfixit

Sunday, August 26th 2012, 10:56pm

Is there a master valve? Maybe the master valve isn't coming on all the way.
I'm not sure how we got from cut wires to a spinning water meter.

Rate this thread