You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 29th 2012, 6:19pm

2 zones just started running at same time

Hello,
I just bought a house that has a Rain Bird ESP-6TM system. I have never had any dealing with sprinkler systems but was able to program the four zones using the manual. The system was running fine until about a week ago. Here is what is happening...
- 4 zones, programmed to run independently
- Zone 1, 20 minutes
- Zone 2, 10 minutes
- Zone 3, 20 minutes
- Zone 4, 10 minutes
- The system was working as programmed until a week ago when zone 2 and 3 began to run simultaneously for the combined time of 30 minutes. I tried unplugging the unit to reset, removing the battery and unplugging to reset as well as re-programming all 4 zones. None of this solved the problem. I did some research on here for trouble shooting and these are the results...
- I disconnected the wire for zone 3 from the controller. When the controller called for station 2, both stations 2 and 3 came on.
- I reconnected station 3 wire to the controller and disconnected station 2 wire from the controller. When the controller called for station 2, it would not come on, nor did station 3. When the controller called for station 3 to run, both station 2 and 3 came on.
Do these results indicate a bad controller and if so, where can I get a new controller? Price?
Are there any other tests I can run for further trouble shooting?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 29th 2012, 6:42pm

So now you employ a multimeter and see what the electrical condition of the wiring is, by way of resistance testing.

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 29th 2012, 9:13pm

Zones 2 and 3 have crossed wires. Look for bare wires that are touching somewhere along the line. Check at the valves first but they could be anywhere.

Friday, August 31st 2012, 11:43am

Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.
I checked the wiring and found that I had no continuity through zone 2. I also checked all four zone solenoids and found zone 2 had no contnuity. I replaced the solenoid and hooked everything back up and had the same problem as before. Since the cable that was used had three unused wires, I simply rewired zones 2 and 3 with 2 of the unused wires. Problem fixed! So there must have been somewhere in the line where the wires for zones 2 and 3 were shorted together.
Hopefully this might help someone else out there.
Thanks again for the assistance.

Rate this thread