You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

spinman1949

Monday, September 10th 2012, 2:06pm

Complete redesign.

Based on my slope and the way the irrigation was done I now know I will need to install an RPZ and of course have it certified.

So now as to the design.

First the area where the valve station is located is about 3 ft by 14 " deep. It is right next to the house. The supply line is 3/4 and it is located 10" below ground level.

Since I have one zone on gear drive sprinklers and the other two zones are drip I intend on putting in a filter.
I also want to install an EX Flow. It hope to hide it around the corner from the station behind a bush.
I also would like to have a fourth zone available for a misting system for the perimiter of the house.

So here are my design questions.

1. Can the EZ Flow be higher than the RPZ? I think the answer to that is yes.
2. Can I hook the EZ Flow right after the RPZ? My intent is to put a T in the line just after the RPZ so I can have a separate supply for the fourth zone. My concern is will the EZ Flow bleed into that line since the T is after the RPZ? If this will not work then I can figure a different way to put in a mister.
3. Would it be better to install the EZ flow as individual connectors to each zone. The reason I ask this is because I need to install pressure reduction on two zones. So I am thinking the EZ Flow would meter better if it is subjected to the lower pressure on those zones.
4. I want to make the system easy to maintain so I plan on using some disconnect in various places. Any problem with this?
5. I plan on running an elbow off the main straight up. That elbow will be threaded. Then a PVC ball valve. Then another elbow at a height that will allow the filter to clear ground level and then to my RPZ. One question re this. Can the RPZ be mounted vertical? It is long but I can save space this way. Plus easier to hide than hiding when it is horizontal.
6. Any suggestions on valves? Do I get the same valve for all three zones? Or is it better to get a valve designed for drip that has adjustable pressure reduction so I do not need the pressure reducers.

Well that is it for now.

Looking forward to feedback. If anyone wants to see pictures of the station area please let me know.

Thx in adavance.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, September 10th 2012, 6:32pm

I can help with a couple questions, but you may want to check the fertigation section for ez flow specific questions.

Normally the RP needs to be installed horizontal. There are some that are able to be installed vertically, but it needs to be in the specifications. And as a backflow tester, normally if I see a vertical install it is a mistake on the plumber's part because they are generally Specified for flow down only. For your project, It is probably not practical to install vertical, but you may have time to search for a flow up, I have not come across it yet.

For the drip zones, get the Valve assembly that comes with filter and pressure regulating in all in one package. Normally pre-installed, it helps not to install the components backwards. I know following arrows should not be that hard, but.

Good luck with the project. Usually you will have a 3/4 option or 1" option on the valves for drip. If your flow is below 10 GPH go with 3/4. I normally use that as a cut off. Some other contractors that do more drip than I do may use a different cut off point to move the 1" valves.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

spinman1949

Monday, September 10th 2012, 6:35pm

Hmm no replies as of yet.

Well I need to order parts soon. I have dug down and located all the existing pipes. I think I can go with the 1.5 gallon EZ Flow as I really do not have large areas except the slope and that is about. 2400 Sq Ft. Still not sure on the valves. Maybe go for the pressure adjustable units. Pricey but at least I can control easily. Since my supply is 3/4 I am going with the 1 inch filter. I doubt the 7 heads on the slope put out over 25 gals per minute. If I go to the next size there is no way the drip systems will be putting out 10 gallons a minute.

spinman1949

Monday, September 10th 2012, 6:53pm

Todd,

Thx for the reply. Very helpful. I did make one error. Supply is 1 ". The zone to the slope is 1" , but I know it is reduced to 3/4 on the slope. The back drip is 3/4 right from the valve. The front is 1" . So I will go 3/4 valves for the drip and to keep pressure up on the slope I will go with a 1 " valve. Any thoughts on the primary filter. Do I need it?

spinman1949

Monday, September 10th 2012, 6:57pm

Todd,

Also. How about your choice for valve mfg please. Do you have a particular model in mind?

Thx again.

Tom

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, September 10th 2012, 10:17pm

I would go with the
Rainbird drip kit.

Rainbird Valves.

They are an industry Standard.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, September 10th 2012, 10:20pm

Primary filter for?, the drip kit will come with one.

A filter before the RP Backflow, It will depend on your water supply quality.

In Houston, we normally do not use a primary filter, unless there is a specific known problem with the water.

All drip does need a filter and pressure reduction usually in a drip kit.

Good Luck

spinman1949

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 1:41pm

Todd,

Once again you came through and actually we are on the same plain. I am looking at Rainbird. I have the Drip valves selected. Just checking out the sprinker valve. And I will not put a filter in as you suggest. Water here in San Diego is hard but not dirty. I rarely need to clean any traps or faucet diffusers. So I will be placing my order soon. I wish the area was wider. None of the cover fake rocks will fit unless I trim the back off. I might be able to get everything below ground level if I trench a bit more. Any thoughts re the RPZ being below ground level. Seems to me the design allows for this. So I am not a royal pain I will also do some research on this.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 10:38am

RP Can not be below grade.

It just can't.

12" above grade.

Thanks

Happy to help.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 10:39am