You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bocaman

Unregistered

Thursday, September 13th 2012, 9:33am

motor hums and trips breaker

We just bought a home with 4 zone sprinkler fed from lake that is about 15 years old. The sprinkler stopped working after a few weeks of buying the home, so I tried to figure out the timer and found that timer was pretty much rusted and had broken pins inside. I turned it to ON but the sprinkler didn't turn on even after I set it to ON. I heard click in the timer but nothing outside on the motor. So I looked at the flip switch outside which seemed to have been shutoff for some reason and I tried flipping it on and off a couple of times and the motor suddenly started running and sprinklers came on, I turned it off and on to cycle through each zone and it worked well.
I set it back to off and decided to turn it on manually till I could get the replacement timer. When I turned it on next time it made a click sound and after a few seconds the breaker tripped. and it kept happening every time I tried after that.
Yesterday I replaced the timer, but the flip switch for outside I bought was the 15 amp one and the current switch was different so I didn't replace that switch but replaced the timer. I turned the timer to ON, heard the click and the motor outside started humming for a few seconds and then the breaker tripped again.
So I am not sure if there is a short somewhere on the flip switch since it had created problems in the past when I had to turn ti on and off a few times to make it work or something else.
I will be replacing the flip switch soon, but if anyone can guide me to what all I can check if that doesn't fix it, I will appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,
Bocaman

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 13th 2012, 1:13pm

Motors sometimes need their starting capacitors replaced.

bocaman

Unregistered

Friday, September 14th 2012, 8:39am

Motors sometimes need their starting capacitors replaced.
Thanks. WIll look at that. Would the starting capacitor cause a short circuit?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 14th 2012, 10:39am

an overload is what trips the breaker - it doesn't have to be a dead short

bocaman

Unregistered

Monday, September 17th 2012, 8:57am

an overload is what trips the breaker - it doesn't have to be a dead short

Thanks. Should I be calling an electrician for this or the sprinkler company?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 17th 2012, 12:21pm

A pump guy is my first thought. This is out of the comfort zone of most sprinkler guys.