You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Dan M

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 19th 2012, 10:44am

Zone Capacity Questions - Orbit Gear drive heads

[font='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'][size=10]I have a few questions on 2 zones in my design that I wanted to get some opinions on.

Background:
• My house has a 1 inch copper water feed; 52 PSI (measured just before the control valve) and a flow rate of 22 GPM (13.5 sec to fill a 5 Gal bucket measured at the output of the 1 inch control valve)
• I branched out 1 inch PVC just after the water entry to my house for the zone control valves.

1st Zone:
• I had wanted to use 4 Orbit Saturn III gear drive heads on ¾ inch poly pipe on this zone
• If I look at Appendix A, Chart 1, in the Orbit “Sprinkler System Layout & Installation guide” it shows that for a 1” main line SCH 40 PVC @ 50 PSI it should support up to 4 heads; but a ¾” main line SCH 40 PVC @ 50 PSI only supports 3 heads
o QUESTION 1 - When it states “Main line SCH. 40 PVC” do they mean the “line” into your house OR the ¾ inch poly pipe “line” I am running for this zone?
o QUESTION 2 – What do you use for number of heads calculations - PSI or GPM?
• The instructions for the Orbit Saturn III show that @ 50 PSI the head is rated 3.4 GPM. That would imply I need 13.6 GPM (I have 22 GPM)
o QUESTION 3 : Why does it seem that I have an excess of capacity per the GPM calculation – but the Orbit manual table I mentioned above states a max of 3 or 4 heads per zone?
o QUESTION 4 : Would a ¾” ploy line be acceptable for this circuit?

2nd Zone:
• I had wanted to use 3 Voyager II gear drive heads on a 1 inch poly pipe
• If I look at Appendix A, Chart 1, in the Orbit “Sprinkler System Layout & Installation guide” it shows that for a 1” main line SCH 40 PVC @ 50 PSI it should support up to 3 heads; but a ¾” main line SCH 40 PVC @ 50 PSI only supports 2 heads
o QUESTION 5 – (Same as 1 above) When it states “Main line SCH. 40 PVC” do they mean the line into your house OR the “line” you are running for this circuit?
QUESTION 6 - (Same as 3 above) Calculation based on instructions shows 3 heads are 10.2 GPM; why then restricted to 2 or 3 in table I referenced above?
• QUESTION 7 – Is there a disadvantage to running 1 inch poly pipe for this zone? I had read somewhere (which I can’t find now) that you should step down to ¾ poly for each circuit; even if the inputs to the heads are all ¾ inch (I thought there would be additional GPM by staying at 1 inch). Is there an advantage?

Thanks in advance for the info/help!
[/size][/font]

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 19th 2012, 2:56pm

You might prefer to use just one model of rotor head for the entire project. Whichever Orbit rotor head is a copy of the Hunter PGP would be your best bet, because they have the best range of nozzles. I expect that's the Voyager, but confirm that, as I don't install Orbit.

Dan M

Unregistered

Thursday, September 20th 2012, 8:09am

Questions

You might prefer to use just one model of rotor head for the entire project. Whichever Orbit rotor head is a copy of the Hunter PGP would be your best bet, because they have the best range of nozzles. I expect that's the Voyager, but confirm that, as I don't install Orbit.
Thanks for the tip; but I still need answers to the same questions irrespective of the rotor heads (i.e. Chart questions; GPM calculations vs chart; GPM vs. PSI for number of heads, etc.).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 20th 2012, 8:32am

The amount of money you might save by not using all one inch is how much, really? Pros install all one inch for a lot of their residential work, just so they don't have to split hairs over just when using smaller pipe won't degrade performance. Use one inch pipe and the PGP heads, and you have covered your bases as much as possible.

Rate this thread