You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Juicegoose

Unregistered

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 10:03am

Random stuck Hunter SRV valves.

I have a 6 zone Hunter system with SRV valves. Over the last month I've had several of the valves stick in the on position. I thought the problem was isolated to failing valves because the plastic rings were cracked. This has not fixed the problem though and different valves are sticking at different times. I then thought possibly it was the controller but after testing the connections at both the controller and valve end I was able to verify that the controller wasn't sending any signals to the valves. I even went as far as to disconnect the valve wiring and the valve stayed stuff open. I tried switching out the solenoids between two different valves and it didn't help. The only common thread is that the replacement diaphrams didn't come with new plastic rings that supported the diaphrams like the original valves had in them, some of the original support rings were broken. Any advise for trouble shooting? I'm tired of random valves common on at random times. Lastly i have gone through all the valves that I opened and made sure to clean everything.

mrfixit

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 10:55am

Don't worry about the cracks in the white thing. That's just the diaphragm support ring.
Is there debris in the water or sand?
Make sure the solenoids are snug clockwise.
Swap out the diaphragms.
Turn the flow controls down clockwise as far as you can without them impeding the sprinklers performance. If they're up all the way the valves could stick on at various times.

Juicegoose

Unregistered

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 11:32pm

Thanks for the reply. There is no visible dirt or debris that I could see in the valve. I vacuumed the valve body out as well. My valves don't have flow control on them. The diaphragm that's messing up is brand new but ill swap it with another and see if that works. Thanks

mrfixit

Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 3:15am

Maybe buy valves with flow controls and swap the parts with your valves.

Juicegoose

Unregistered

Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 10:22am

I might try that. It's just odd to me that after 10 years of no trouble out of the valves the minute I replace them with new diaphragms they start sticking open.

Juicegoose

Unregistered

Monday, October 1st 2012, 6:18am

Well I thought maybe i had fixed the valve. Over the weekend I replaced the stations diaghragm and it seemed to have fixed the problem. Twenty four hours later the station was back on and would turn off unless I shut off the water to the system. This is the ghost I've been chasing If it's not one valve it's another. All the valve problems have started occuring in the last month and without warning. The control box has been set to off and verified to not be sending power to the solenoids when I catch an on station. All the diaghragms have been replaced because they have all turned on randomly.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the solenoid to make sure it's not randomly allowing the diaghragm to pop open? Also do the springs above the diaghragms tend to give out? The system is 8 years old. Lastly i guess this is a generic question. When there is water pressure on the system what keeps the station diaghragm from popping up and allowing water through?

THanks