You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Nate

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 8:39pm

Hear Water - Not sure which valve

I hear water running from one of our sprinkler valves. I've turned off the water supply. Four valves sit next to each other. Is there a way to isolate which valve is the one water is running through? For example, if I turn the main water back on, is there some screw or test I can do on the valve that will turn off the flow ... that way I'll know what group of sprinkler heads / area of my lawn to focus on?

Where ever the leak is, it's under ground. I did a pressure test today, and all seemed to be okay.

Thanks,
Nate

mrfixit

Wednesday, September 26th 2012, 12:21am

Is there water leaking out any of the sprinkler heads? If a valve was letting water get past it there would be.
Are the pipes plastic or metal?
If they're metal the leaking sound could be anywhere along the mainline. I've heard the sound all the way around the house from where the leak really was.
Is there a wet spot anywhere near where you hear the noise? Could be a leak in the PVC and not the valve.
You can use a tube or piece of pipe to listen to the valves much like listening to a cars motor to isolate a sound.

Nate

Unregistered

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 12:43am

I'll check again, but didn't notice any leaking sprinkler heads. I think most of the pipes are plastic ... at least the few I've dug down to in the past. And, as I typed those last words, I bet I know where it is. Couple years ago I fixed our spicket that was out near a fence that had fallen toward the spicket and broken the pipe below. Maybe it sprung a leak.

Darn ... that was a pain.

Thanks for responding, and jogging my memory.