You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, December 7th 2012, 6:49pm

Help! New Home in Canada in Desperate need of Winterization

Hi All,

I purchased a new home this summer with a sprinkler system by the time I called a local company to blow it out, they were done for the season. Then came the snow (but it remained reasonably warm, not getting below -5 celcius/25 ferenhiet)... Anyways, the snow is gone, it has warmed-up and I am trying to complete this myself. I have watched many videos on You Tube and read a lot of material, but it doesn't seem to relate in a meaningful way to my system. Anyways, here is my situation:

1. It is a Toro TMC 212 control system, with EZ Flow-Plus valves.
2. I have shut the water pressure to all water pipes exiting my house. The two pipes that feed my system exit the house and go under the ground in a PVC pipe.
3. I do not have a back flow preventer or any other area where I can figure an air compressor can be hooked upto.
4. It is an 8 zone system, 3/4 acre property, with two access hatches with four vales in each hatch.
5. I find it odd but these access hatches are not near where my water pipes exit the house and go under the ground (don't know if this means anything, I new to this whole thing)..

I am going to rent an air compressor tomorrow, but I don't know where and how to hook the air compressor up to. My initial thought will be to take off the valves and just stick the air compressor hose down the opening... I don't know if this is a good idea or not - but this is likely my last chance, so I would really appreciate any assistance or tips anyone can offer.

Thank you in-advance!

Canada-eh

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 9:19am

you are in way over your head - call in a pro

My Dream

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 11:45am

I'm not sure what part of Canada you're from but code normally states that there should be at least a back flow preventer. I also don't understand why there isn't a seperate shut off for the blow out. It maybe possible this set wasn't installed professionally.

There are still many pros what will blow out they system as I see them advertised on a daily basis. I would find one soon as the method you're going to try isn't the best route to take.

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 12:00pm

1. Yes, I am in over my head. But I'm here and have to deal with it.... The "Pros" say they are done, although I don't quite get why...

2. I'm in Ontario. Home was a custom build by someone else, so I have not idea if it was professionally installed or not... I am certain there is no back flow preventer. Water pipe is split as it comes into the house. One hose to the sprinkler system, one to the water softener and heater for in house use....

I'm basically screwed. My plan is now to attempt to drain the system, suck as much water out with a shop vac, then hope for the best.

It has also been suggested that I pour anti-freeze down the sprinkler heads... Any thoughts on that plan?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 3:09pm

After you call every number of every local professional, you then call the supply houses that sell to the professionals, and get a recommendation from them.

As your wanting to cheap out on this, NO SYMPATHY - hire it done.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 9th 2012, 10:39am

On the incredibly slim chance that you are in some region of Ontario that's short on good professionals, there is a method that works for a home with a basement water meter.

1) Shut off the water at the meter, or at any point that is upstream of the connection point(s) of the system.

2) Open the shutoff valve(s) that feed the system

3) Connect your air to a hose bib, either on the house, or maybe at a drain valve indoors. The very last resort could be your water heater drain.

4) Winterize system

5) Close sprinkler system shutoff valves

6) Open main shutoff valve. Run faucets as needed to expel the air.

IMPORTANT NOTE - A pro with a trusty truckmount compressor can do this, because he isn't worried about blowing any oil in with the air. For a homeowner, you bite the bullet and pay what it costs to obtain an air source you can trust won't blow oil in with the air.

`

A cleaner method in your case involves a pipe cutter or a hacksaw and some "Sharkbite" pipe adapters. No worries about oil in the compressor air.

1) Cut away as much copper tubing as necessary to fit in a Sharkbite (or similar) compression adapter, to which you connect your air. You could also try this on the outside, and possibly fit in compression tees with a threaded side outlet for the air connection. The latter is far more economical if you have PVC pipe to work with outside.

Rate this thread