You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DaveS

Unregistered

Sunday, January 6th 2013, 9:08am

Small orchard watering

I am looking for opinions on my idea for watering my 50 tree newly planted orchard. Trees are planted 20x20 grid, they will be mulched around but rest of under growth will be somewhat wild, selected benificials, etc. It will mostly be used for the first years to establish growth and later more on a as needed basis. The water supply Is 150' away, pump that is there is marginal but will be replaced to match my needs. I plan on using 1 1/4" poly for the main and 3/4" for the branch with each run supply 8 trees. I plan on puting 1 12" adjustable micro riser with 18 stream 20 gph mico head per tree. This way I can adjust the flow as the trees grow to put the water at the drip line of the tree. I plan on putting them as close to the tree as I can without hitting the tree with a stream. I can figure my gpm, friction loss, pump sizing, etc. My biggest concern is if these micro sprinklers are practical. In my head they seem perfect because it would allow me to water all the trees at once, they are adjustable so I can increase the flow to keep the water at the drip line as the trees grow, it seems easier to add to or move the micro heads. Now I have absolutely no experiance with irrigation so sometimes things are not what they seem so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 6th 2013, 1:00pm

How the heads you want will work on your water supply is an unknown. Filtration is a must. You might hedge your bets and lay things out in a way to allow the system to be separated into more zones.