You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

valovic

Saturday, January 12th 2013, 6:29pm

1.25" sprinkler design but I want to drop to 1"

OK so I have been planning on instaling my own sprinkler system, and I'm just about to rent the trencher. I had rainbird design the system, and they did an OK job. I have to redesign a few things over. One question is - they would not design my system for a 1" line, they said with my flow and PSI that they had to size it for 1.25", but that I could reduce it after they designed it with no problem. I've got 50 psi and 30 gpm on right from the 1" main line. They have designed a zone to have 10 heads or the 5000 series per zone. They said it was not safe to design a residential system with 30 gpm on a 1" line. I don't understand why it is unsafe. Anyone see an issue with me putting 10 rotor heads on all 1" lines with my pressure and flow?
I can send the design if you want to see it.
valovic has attached the following file:

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 12th 2013, 8:37pm

I'll Rainbird one better and flatly state that 30 gpm is 1-1/2 inch territory, both for mainline and zone valves.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 13th 2013, 7:10am

30 gpm? Good for you.

valovic

Thursday, January 17th 2013, 6:21pm

redesign

I went back to rainbird and they redesigned it a bit. They now have the main lines and lateral lines as 1-1/4. I'll just stick with that

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, January 18th 2013, 1:40pm

In general, you do not want pressure losses in a system's main line, so you don't skimp on that point. Also, the flow of 30 gpm is beyond the usual operating range of one-inch zone valves, so for the sake of maximum economy, system flows would be kept to 20 gpm or less.

Rate this thread