You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rghash

Friday, March 5th 2004, 5:37am

Question on Febco FE765-100

I'm looking at buying the Febco FE765-100 PVB. I'l be tapping into a 1.25" line off my wells pressurized tank. From the product page here (http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=585) I see that it has inlet/discharge side shut-off valves, but the description goes on to say "Valves and test cocks are primarily for field testing".

The question is shut I install an independent ball valve to shut off the new irrigation line, or can/should I use the valve on this PVB?

I know this question sounds a bit goofy, but the "primarily for field testing" blurb has me wondering if they aren't designed for regular use...

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Friday, March 5th 2004, 5:48am

Yes! Install a shutoff valve bewteen your tank and th PVB.

rghash

Tuesday, March 9th 2004, 10:23am

Well I know I want a shutoff valve between the tank and the PVB, but the question was should I use the one that's already on the Febco PVB, or install an independent one? What is "primarily for field testing" supposed to mean?

For now I'm planning to install an independent ball valve on the supply line to the PVB...

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 9th 2004, 1:30pm

It would be wise to install a shut off valve at point of your new tap. If you winterize in your area, also include some type of drain on the line (lowest point is best) after the new shut-off valve. The ball valves on the backflow prevention device are designed primarially for isolating the inlet water pressure to the device and the back pressure from the irrigation system. They are used during the testing process of your backflow provention device. They are required to be tested every year. Hope that helps.

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 9th 2004, 1:35pm

It would be wise to install a shut off valve at point of your new tap. If you winterize in your area, also include some type of drain on the line (lowest point is best) after the new shut-off valve. The ball valves on the backflow prevention device are designed primarially for isolating the inlet water pressure to the device and the back pressure from the irrigation system. They are used during the testing process of your backflow provention device. They are required to be tested every year. Hope that helps.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 11th 2004, 5:39pm

Think of it this way. What if your Backflow device ever fails and you would have to replace it. And there are some places that even suggest that you remove the BFD as a part of the winterization (to insure it isn't damaged by any freezing water left in it).

Just a couple of reasons to include a shutoff valve. After all, it you use a gate or ball valve, it will have a negligable effect on pressure losses.

Rate this thread