You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nine9s

Monday, February 11th 2013, 6:21pm

which brand model RPZ for a system on a private well?

I am replacing a Febco 860 that is failing. It is for a sprinkler system (mostly weekly use - high use would be twice a week for 3 hours each time.) My house uses a private well, so water pressure is routinely fluctuating with the on/off of the well pump (goes off around 65 PSI and on at 40 PSI.)

I have a Watts 009M2 on back-order so I can cancel it. I am concerned because I have found some old messages here indicating that the Watts 009 does not handle changing pressure well.

Is that correct - one should not use a Watts 009 on a private well system?

If so, what brand and model do you recommend?

My main preferences are (1) reliability/low maintenance and (2) ease of winterization.

Thanks for any help.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nine9s" (Feb 11th 2013, 6:38pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 11th 2013, 7:28pm

RPZs and well water do not go together, as particles in the water lead to device failure. One might even trade in the RPZ for a PVB mounted at an otherwise-ridiculous height, just to escape RPZ problems.

Instead of looking for a model of RPZ that has no problems with 'dirty water' you look to clean up the water as much as possible, even if you have continuing maintenance to keep filters clean. No less than 100 mesh is acceptable for the final filter value. You might even have to go more.

nine9s

Monday, February 11th 2013, 7:47pm

I noticed that my commode tanks have sand in them, so it sounds as if I should not use a RPZ. I had a PVB for years and years but I suspect its placement might have been lower than the highest sprinkler head point. I should be abel to haev run higher up.

I am under no regulations, so I can use whatever. Is the PVB safe - does it do a good job? I use no fertilizer nor herbicides/pesticides, but my neighbor loves to spray Roundup and sprays some near some of my sprinkler heads.

nine9s

Monday, February 11th 2013, 7:47pm

I noticed that my commode tanks have sand in them, so it sounds as if I should not use a RPZ. I had a PVB for years and years but I suspect its placement might have been lower than the highest sprinkler head point because my yard slopes.

How do you measure determine the highest point relative to the placement of the PVB?

I am under no regulations, so I can use whatever. Is the PVB safe - does it do a good job? I use no fertilizer nor herbicides/pesticides, but my neighbor loves to spray Roundup and sprays some near some of my sprinkler heads.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nine9s" (Feb 11th 2013, 9:43pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 12th 2013, 8:41am

As long as every single part of the sprinkler system is lower than the PVB by at least a foot, then you are good to go. No fertilizer injection or downstream booster pumps, though.

nine9s

Tuesday, February 12th 2013, 10:00am

I think I will try a 100 mesh inline filter.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nine9s" (Feb 12th 2013, 1:16pm)