You are not logged in.

piper

Starting Member

Saturday, February 16th 2013, 5:02pm

Hunter Hybrid battery powered controller - DC solenoids

Over the last 30 years I have installed and maintained 13 zones to irrigate our 1 acre property using standard AC controllers (so I'm familiar with the basics ;) ).

However, I'm in the process of laying out 10 new zones in the farthest corner and don't want to trench back to the house for the sprinkler wire. (Water supply has been in place for years - just been doing manual watering.) I have decided to use the Hunter Hybrid battery powered controller for the expansion and understand that it requires DC latching solenoids on the valves. Here's what I need to know:

1) Will the Hunter Hybrid controller work with any brand valve that has DC solenoids (like the DIGs)?

2) I would like to use Hunter PGV-100G 1" valves in the project. Can they be ordered with the Hunter 458200 DC latching solenoids instead of the AC solenoid? If so what would be the price?

3) And, more generally, is it OK to "mix and match" any brand battery operated controller with any brand valve that has a DC solenoid?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "piper" (Feb 16th 2013, 5:12pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, February 16th 2013, 6:53pm

DC latching solenoids are no match in reliability to regular solenoids. You should rethink your plans. (especially for an acre-sized property)

How far is the new work from the house? Is there some other structure or location where a conventional controller could be placed?

jbeebo

Thursday, June 6th 2013, 11:12am

Hunter XC Hybrid controller - what DC solenoids for RainBird ASVF valves?

I have the same basic question. Was going to purchase a Hunter XC Hybrid controller but want to actuate existing RainBird ASVF valves. What solenoid to use?

I can't find a Hunter DC solenoid that is compatible with RB ASVF valves.

RainBird makes TBOS DC solenoid which works in ASVF valve - but is it compatible with Hunter XCH controller?

DIG makes R710DC DC solenoids, and they have DIG 30-921 adapters which fit into RB ASVF valves - but is that compatible with Hunter XCH controller?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jun 6th 2013, 8:07pm)

mrfixit

Thursday, June 6th 2013, 8:08pm

RE: Hunter XC Hybrid controller - what DC solenoids for RainBird ASVF valves?

I have the same basic question. Was going to purchase a Hunter XC Hybrid controller but want to actuate existing RainBird ASVF valves. What solenoid to use?

I can't find a Hunter DC solenoid that is compatible with RB ASVF valves.

RainBird makes TBOS DC solenoid which works in ASVF valve - but is it compatible with Hunter XCH controller?

DIG makes R710DC DC solenoids, and they have DIG 30-921 adapters which fit into RB ASVF valves - but is that compatible with Hunter XCH controller?

---
-------
I've hooked up Hunter battery operated controllers up to the RainBird ASV's before. No problem. I haven't hooked up a Hybrid.
Check out this link.
Hunter Industries
--
I accidently commented on your post. That's why it says I edited it.

jbeebo

Friday, June 7th 2013, 11:24am

Thanks!

Fantastic! Thanks for the link. I see Hunter XC hybrid has been tested and works with RainBird TSOB DC solenoids.

I wonder about the DIG R710DC + DIG 30-921 combo, will it work too? It's cheaper than TSOB solenoids...but maybe I'm pushing it by using a Hunter controller, DIG solenoids and RainBird valves!

More generally, all these battery operated controllers operate on 9V to 12V DC power source. Thus, I'm thinking the DC solenoids from one manufacturer _should be_ compatible with another's controller. In the case of the Hunter XC Hybrid , the 6x AA alkaline batteries will produce ~9Vdc, same as the 9Vdc of the DIG 740-000 battery controller , which is designed to work with the DIG R710DC solenoids . The 6x AA batteries should be able to delivery a higher current pulse than 9V batteries too.

Wish manufacturers included technical info about their solenoids like DC resistance, inductance, current needed to actuate so one could assemble as system with confidence.