You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, February 24th 2013, 12:14pm

valve will NOT turn on

I have one valve which would not respond when turned on by timer. All other zones work fine. If I manually turn valve on, things work fine. So I figured solenoid was bad and replaced it. I rechecked all the wiring connections, but new solenoid, same problem. I even tried connecting it to a new zone in the timer in case the connection in the timer was bad, but that changed nothing. HELP!

mrfixit

Sunday, February 24th 2013, 12:52pm

I received your email Mr Thumb.
First of all not all timers can handle having two valves being wired together. I don't believe that's the problem though.
It sounds like the diaphragm is bad.
You didn't mention which model valve we're talking about so I can't tell you how to install a new diaphragm.
With most valves it's a fairly easy operation if you pay attention.
Either install a new diaphragm or install a new valve. That should fix you up.
Check for any debris which might be blocking a port while you have the valve taken apart.
Good luck!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 24th 2013, 2:32pm

has a broken field wire been ruled out?

mrfixit

Sunday, February 24th 2013, 3:11pm

has a broken field wire been ruled out?

Here's what he said in the email. The fact the valve wont turn off after he turns it on manually makes me think it's the diaphragm.

I am stumped. I've worked on my sprinkler systems for years, so I have done a lot of trouble shooting. Right now, I have a Champion valve, electric solenoid but the valve does not turn on. I had to disconnect wiring, and after hooking it back up wrong, one of the two valves non longer worked. Figured my mis-wiring, while corrected and properly working with 2nd valve, no longer worked with first valve (right next to it in manifold) So I purchased a new solenoid, and re-connected all wiring, correctly as per instructions. BUT same problem un-changed. What I do is turn zone on manually at timer. Nothing. Then I turn valve on manually at solenoid. It works fine so valve is not plugged. But then only way to turn it off is to screw down on shut off screw. So what could problem be?
--
I'm assuming he turned off the controller. Who knows.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 25th 2013, 10:35am

That valve behavior does fit a failure of the diaphragm. Of course, some resistance testing with the multimeter would remove the wiring from consideration. That it's a Champion valve would point at the likelihood of it using a valve convertor assembly, which could be completely replaced, instead of having to find any repair parts.

Rate this thread