You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

xsoft

Monday, March 11th 2013, 8:13pm

3/4 Inlet Hunter Pop UP Rotor Sprinkler General Question???

My sprinkler system was installed a few years ago and contains a mix of 3/4 Inlet Hunter Pop Up Rotors in the back yard and looks like 1/2 Adjustable Pop Up sprinklers in the front. The front pop ups works ok until the wind is blowing which is quite often thus resulting in the water not going on the lawn where it was intended. This has always been a problem but I just lived with it, sometimes just manually watering certain spots with the hose when I'm outside mowing the lawn and notice a dry spot. This year I want to close off most of the 1/2 in adjustable sprinklers in the front and replace them with 4 pop up rotors like in the back yard.
The question is ... can I run the 3/4 inlet Hunter pop up rotor sprinklers using the existing 1/2 supply/branch lines??? I'm thinking I could use a 1/2 in to 3/4 in nipple (if such a fitting exist) and then screw the 3/4 rotor sprinkler on. Or, is it better to use a 1/2 in. rotor sprinkler on the 1/2 in. supply/branch line.
Reason for the question is ... I would like to keep all the rotar sprinklers the same (Hunter) and I did not see one with a 1/2 inlet connection. I can however find them in Rain Bird brand. Just trying to avoid having to maintain two different types of rotor sprinklers.
Thanks,
xsoft

mrfixit

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 2:38am

Yes you can. It's a very common practice. Just use a reducing bushing.
--
Maybe you should water in the middle of the night when the wind isn't blowing.
--
They make a wind censor which will turn off the sprinklers if it's too windy. Hunter has one.

xsoft

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 9:12am

Yes you can. It's a very common practice. Just use a reducing bushing.
--
Maybe you should water in the middle of the night when the wind isn't blowing.
--
They make a wind censor which will turn off the sprinklers if it's too windy. Hunter has one.
Ok, thanks for the reply. I will also look into the wind censor.

xsoft

Rate this thread