You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Trabecca

Wednesday, March 13th 2013, 6:22pm

Controller only works in semi-automatic cycle

I have a Richdel controller that has worked for the last 6 years. Now none of the zones will come on when set on timer, nor will the zones come on in manual mode. The sprinklers will only come on in semi-automatic mode.

Thoughts?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 13th 2013, 8:37pm

I suspect I know what's wrong, but "semi-automatic" is a term that would apply to controllers with other than the Richdel brand name. What is the controller's model number?

Trabecca

Wednesday, March 13th 2013, 8:54pm

I suspect I know what's wrong, but "semi-automatic" is a term that would apply to controllers with other than the Richdel brand name. What is the controller's model number?

Model no. 446PRi Hybrid, and the manual uses term semi-auto

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 14th 2013, 10:23am

Not the model number I was expecting. The 446 was an early solid-state design. They don't make that type of controller any more. It is easily replaced. Consider a Hunter X-Core for a good value.

Trabecca

Thursday, March 14th 2013, 10:49am

Thanks. I assumed it probably was dead. When you say "easily" replaced, does this apply to someone who can do anything with directions, but without full explanation is SOL? I am someone who is unhandy, trying to become handy.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 14th 2013, 2:00pm

Start by taking photos of the existing controller and its connections. If the wires aren't color-coded, you have to apply labels to each one, so you know how to reconnect them.

By the way, one last-ditch attempt to get the old controller to work involves unplugging it, and removing any backup battery. Let it alone for an hour, then plug it back in. Doesn't hurt to try.

Trabecca

Friday, March 15th 2013, 8:08am

Well, I tried unplugging and removing the battery and it didn't fix it. Ordered the Hunter and should be arriving today. Thanks for your help.

Trabecca

Monday, March 18th 2013, 8:23am

Thanks for advice. Received new controller, had it installed in 10 minutes and it works like a charm. Took me much longer to adjust sprinkler heads and ended up giving up on a few.

If every repair were so easy!

Rate this thread