You are not logged in.

AATA

Starting Member

Monday, March 18th 2013, 10:38pm

Valve randomly turns on and off

I recently purchased a house that's about 7 years old with 14 zones controlled by a Rain Bird controller. A couple weeks ago we got a lot of rain and 2 of the zones that are located away from the other 12 zones stopped turning on. I could turn them on manually by turning the solenoid, but they wouldn't turn on by the bleeder. I realized that the wire connectors were buried in the mud for the 2 valves (they had waterproof connectors), so I assumed something got shorted.

Assuming it was electrical, I changed the solenoid and that didn't fix it, so I put a new diaphragm and it worked perfect. It's possible I was dealing with multiple issues and now it's down to one. I decided to replace both the solenoid and diaphragm on the second one and it turns on and off with the controller like it should. I thought everyone was fixed, but then I notice the sprinklers turning on for a split second and then turning off. It just turns on for a quick second, like a pulse and then turns off. I turned the flow control to off and can hear the solenoid trying to turn on the valve, but with the flow off, it obviously doesn't flow water. It seems like it's getting a signal randomly to turn on and off? I put the solenoid from the one that's working and the same thing happened, so it has something to do with that zone/wiring?

Do I have a bad controller or can something else be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

mrfixit

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 1:56pm

Did you forget to put the spring back in the valve when you changed the diaphragm?