You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mn1

Unregistered

Monday, March 18th 2013, 11:30pm

Timed pump cutoff

Is there a variable setting timer switch that I could install on my tank pump that would stop the pump emptying the tank in the event of a burst pipe?

I need to leave the water tap on so that my irrigation timer and valve control will allow water to flow when the program triggers. If the pipe pops somewhere before it reaches the valve the tap will allow water to run until the tank empties which is when my tank pump will run dry and stop automatically.
I want to avoid pumping my tank dry in the event of a pipe failure.
I figure that washing machines, showers, car washing and irrigation cycles never last more than 15 minutes so what I need is a timer that counts down from 15 to zero.

If the pump runs more than 15 minutes power is cut requiring a manual reset and I only loose a few hundred litres.

Anbody know of such a device??

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 9:11am

How do you envision a plumbing disaster upstream of your connection to the sprinkler system? That is what it would take to require a time switch. One is presuming the system valves are trustworthy. If you have reliability concerns, then use a master valve to feed the system. That way, a burst pipe in the field is only a temporary concern, because the master valve shuts off the flow when the controller ends the watering.