You are not logged in.

Thursday, April 11th 2013, 12:02pm

Pipe Layout

Here is how my leaking irrigation system is laid out. I am trying to cap it off before the leak, but not sure if by doing so, I might be shutting off heads that I actually want to continue working, since I don't know how the pipe is laid out. What's the best way to find out?

In the diagram below. All sprinkler in Lawn1 work just fine.

Lawn 2 is station 2 and heads H1 - H5 are in that station.

What I notice is that H3 - H5 work but low on pressure so that the sprinkler never really pops out all the way only partially.

H1 does not pop out at all, but spits water. H2 which is next to the tree does not pop out at all. After the sprinkler runs for a while, there is a puddle of water between H1 and H2.

My suspicion is that there is a leak between H1 and H2, perhaps caused by the tree and I would like to shut off the pipe going to H2. However, I am not sure if that will also shut off water to H3 - H5.

Any thoughts?

=====H1=======Tree====H2
<----------Sidewalk ------------->

---------------------Lawn1------ ---------Lawn 2-------H3

........................................................H4

.........................................................................................H5

mrfixit

Thursday, April 11th 2013, 1:10pm

I would take a guess and say it depends on what side of the sidewalk the valve is on. If it's on the lawn side you can probably abandon the tree side with no problem.
Just find the pipe and cap it off. See what happens.
Or fix the leak.

Thursday, April 11th 2013, 1:43pm

I would take a guess and say it depends on what side of the sidewalk the valve is on. If it's on the lawn side you can probably abandon the tree side with no problem.
Just find the pipe and cap it off. See what happens.
Or fix the leak.
Thanks!

The valve is on the lawn side. In fact, the valve and the controller are in the backyard of the house.

The leak would be hard to fix, since the tree is really mature and would probably require a lot of tricky digging.

How would I go about capping off the line and where?

mrfixit

Thursday, April 11th 2013, 8:55pm

Cap it off to the left of H1 and see what happens.
You'll know when you turn it on if you've fixed it.

Rate this thread