You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, April 22nd 2013, 2:13pm

Quality of Drip Irrigation Equipment

I am getting ready to buy drip irrigation equipment and I am wondering if there is any difference in quality between equipment (tubing, emitters, microsprayers etc) purchased at a hardware store (Menards - Rain Bird and Orbit) and equipment offered online. I've read that sprinkler equipment offered online is often higher quality (commercial) as opposed to that in big-box stores, but I haven't seen anything on the drip irrigation eqiupment. Thanks in advance!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 22nd 2013, 5:09pm

Why would any professional have a useful opinion on big-box-store drip equipment? They will never buy the stuff, and those stores don't care for a moment about what they're selling from one year to the next.

Wednesday, April 24th 2013, 12:22pm

I must say Wet_Boots that your responses to both my post have been rather rude in my opinion. No where on this site does it state that this site is for professionals. I am merely trying to gain information and make educated decisions. I was planning on ordering from Sprinkler Warehouse (the sponsor of this forum) but your responses have left a bad taste in mouth. I am an accountant by profession, and would never dream of responding to questions (no matter how silly) by those less knowledgeable than myself as rudely as you have.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 24th 2013, 5:47pm

I'm saving you time. The inventory at big-box stores is entirely random, and you can't get anything like an informed opinion on the subject.

If you have specific makes and model numbers of products, then you can expect to encounter people, both professional and amateur, who can tell you more about them.

Drip can be extremely technical in nature. Some of it requires a thick covering of mulch to prevent it from being damaged by foot traffic.

mrfixit

Thursday, April 25th 2013, 12:00am

I must say Wet_Boots that your responses to both my post have been rather rude in my opinion. No where on this site does it state that this site is for professionals. I am merely trying to gain information and make educated decisions. I was planning on ordering from Sprinkler Warehouse (the sponsor of this forum) but your responses have left a bad taste in mouth. I am an accountant by profession, and would never dream of responding to questions (no matter how silly) by those less knowledgeable than myself as rudely as you have.

--
I'm sorry for your experience at this site pmsmith. Some people are naturally rude and they don't know they're doing it.
--
I can answer your question.
Dig has a good line of dripline products. You'll always be able to find parts in the future to make additions or repairs. It's a common size.
The Home Depot carries the product.
I'm not a big fan of the pressure reducers they sell there but they work. Everything else will do you just fine.
--
Maybe look for an irrigation supply house in your area. Ewing, John Deere Irrigation and Hydroscape are the big 3 in my area.
--
You could still order from the Sprinkler Warehouse if you wish. =)

Thursday, April 25th 2013, 10:33am

Thanks both Wet_Boots and mrfixit for the responses. I actually may very well order from the Sprinkler Warehouse after comparing pricing. After doing a lot or online reading, I am leaning towards using Rain Bird Xeri-Bug emitters (probably placed on stakes in most cases), 1/2" Rain Bird XT-700 distribution tubing (or something similiar) and a hose adapter kit (DIG SW9000 3/4 in. FHT Hose Bib Drip Connection Kit or Rain Bird Faucet Connection Kit). I envision connecting the Xeri-Bugs directly into the 1/2" distribution tubing, running 1/4" tubing from the emitter to the plants (raising the tubing with a stake), and capping the 1/4" tube with a bug cap. In some situations I may supplement with drip tape/tubing (although I have heard this can clog easily) and microsprayers. The systems will be controlled by simple timers and three or four way brass shut-off valves. Next year I will incorporate the various drip zones into a new sprinkler system (run into our main with a reduced pressure valve). Any thoughts/opinions on this system, or on any of the products will be greatly appreciated!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 25th 2013, 11:19am

Thanks both Wet_Boots and mrfixit for the responses. I actually may very well order from the Sprinkler Warehouse after comparing pricing. After doing a lot or online reading, I am leaning towards using Rain Bird Xeri-Bug emitters (probably placed on stakes in most cases), 1/2" Rain Bird XT-700 distribution tubing (or something similiar) and a hose adapter kit (DIG SW9000 3/4 in. FHT Hose Bib Drip Connection Kit or Rain Bird Faucet Connection Kit). I envision connecting the Xeri-Bugs directly into the 1/2" distribution tubing, running 1/4" tubing from the emitter to the plants (raising the tubing with a stake), and capping the 1/4" tube with a bug cap. In some situations I may supplement with drip tape/tubing (although I have heard this can clog easily) and microsprayers. The systems will be controlled by simple timers and three or four way brass shut-off valves. Next year I will incorporate the various drip zones into a new sprinkler system (run into our main with a reduced pressure valve). Any thoughts/opinions on this system, or on any of the products will be greatly appreciated!
What you are describing is "classic drip" - it is the most labor intensive, but the result is something you can observe the functioning of. And yes, it requires both pressure regulation and filtration of the water supply. It also requires a good mulch covering, so that foot traffic doesn't mash the emitters stuck in the distribution tubing.

Rate this thread