You are not logged in.

scercpio

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 2:04pm

Everyone doesn't own a smart phone. I can live a long and happy life without ever paying a monthly fee for a data plan.
Neither does my mom. Not because she doesn't want a data plan, but because she refuses to learn how to use the finger to navigate. Seeing her struggling with the tablet while my 2 year-old niece was flying through it makes you think what a difference a generation gap is.

I don't need or want a data plan. I still own a smart phone. My teenage kids have smart phones too, but I don't buy data plan for them. We all get along fine with wifi. But that's besides the point.

When cell phone first came out, I said why would I want a phone with me all the time, my phone at home hardly ever rang. And now, I'm carrying a smart phone. It hardly rings. Some times I have to check to see if it's still working. It's not for me to call or talk to anyone, any time, but it's for business. If I have to compare the sprinkler controller technology with the phone technology, I'd say the dial and button controllers are like rotary phones. Yes it works, it does what you need, but while everyone is having a smart phone, would you still hang on to your rotary phone?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 3:06pm

there was a time when having a stone-age telco phone made all the difference during power failures

Any controller that doesn't operate and program from the controller itself, with the use of its built-in display, is not independently verifiable as functional. You never ever get to insist that the home inspector has to carry a smart phone.