You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

louman

Starting Member

Thursday, April 25th 2013, 10:40pm

system control advice

I have a winter home in a Florida community with an irrigation system that supplies reclaimed water three times per week for a few hours to a line in my yard. The supply is controlled (on-off) from a central pumping station to all residents. I'd like to configure a system in my yard that is pressure activated to start a multi-zone watering sequence when the community water pump starts and pressure/flow is present at my yard tap. It would run a sequence through my 3 or 4 zones (by way of electrical solenoid valves) using a timed sequence before shutting off. Is it possible to source equipment components for this type of system. If so, product brand names or models would be appreciated. I'm not on site for a significant portion of the year so the system would be required to run with little or no attention or monitored remotely.

Thanks.

scercpio

Monday, April 29th 2013, 7:51pm

Check out BlueSpray. Their flexible scheduling might fit your need.

mrfixit

Tuesday, April 30th 2013, 5:42am

Hey Serpico, what is your experience with the Blue Spray controller?
When I go to the site is says the product isn't available yet?
Is this what you're talking about?
Blue Spray

scercpio

Tuesday, April 30th 2013, 9:25am

Hey Serpico, what is your experience with the Blue Spray controller?
When I go to the site is says the product isn't available yet?
Is this what you're talking about?
Blue Spray
They say it will be available soon. I'm on the beta/early adopter program so I have one in my garage. I can't divulge much information because I'm under NDA, but I can tell you that it is much better than IC. It is unlike any other controller out there. You can set as many programs and start times as you want. I particularly like the seasonal feature that allows me to set different watering schedule for all seasons: once a week in the spring, every other day in the summer, 2 times a week in the fall, and nothing in the winter, which is exactly what I've been looking for.

mrfixit

Tuesday, April 30th 2013, 11:45am

So basically you're recommending to someone that they check into a product that doesn't exist yet. There's just a few prototypes floating around.
Isn't that like recommending to someone that they look into 2016 model car?
It's much better than all the other cars out there you know.
--
I just get the feeling that you're connected personally to the product or to the person/s trying to bring the product to market.
--

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Apr 30th 2013, 12:27pm)

scercpio

Tuesday, April 30th 2013, 1:24pm

2016 is a bit reach, don't you think? It's 2013 and they say it's coming out in 2013. Is that too far out? But that's their problem. I'm just pointing out what I've been using that might help the author of this thread. Prototype or not, it works pretty well for me.

If you read my posts, you'd see that I've been looking for a controller that is not of the dial and button type. I've mentioned irrigationcaddy, BlueSpray. I just happened to like BlueSpray better and tried one. Maybe you should try and evaluate them for yourself before dissing them.

Are you associated with the like of Rainbird or Toro by any chance?

mrfixit

Tuesday, April 30th 2013, 9:04pm

I've installed thousands of Rainbird and Toro items. Also Hunter, Irritrol and a few others. I've installed 0 Blue Sprays. I've seen 0 Blue Sprays. I know of nobody personally who's ever seen a Blue Spray.
Why don't you have your guys send me some finished product and I'll test it in the field. Then I can give an unbiased opinion. I don't see that ever happening. Especially in 2013.
Then again I'd just install it in my yard. I'll never install a controller that's run via a browser for any of my customers. I don't install items which make me a less efficient repairman.
A large percentage of my regular customers aren't at home when I'm there. I'd need access to their computer inside their house while they aren't there. I'm not buying a smart phone or a tablet just to accomodate one controller. I'm not going into someone's home while they aren't there. I was accused once of stealing a guys credit card out of his desk. Turns out his son was dealing drugs. I'm thinking maybe he took it.

You seem to spend a lot of time an energy recommending a product that doesn't exist and you want me to believe you're not connected with the company in any way.

If the guy who started this post wants one. Then go for it. Someday that is. Perhaps 2016.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 9:17am

One thing doesn't scan here. The OP claims that pressurized water is supplied on an occasional basis. Is the timing of this water supply completely random, or is it on a schedule? I would think that it happens on schedule, so that any conventional controller could work.

scercpio

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 9:51am

I've installed thousands of Rainbird and Toro items. Also Hunter, Irritrol and a few others. I've installed 0 Blue Sprays. I've seen 0 Blue Sprays. I know of nobody personally who's ever seen a Blue Spray.
Why don't you have your guys send me some finished product and I'll test it in the field. Then I can give an unbiased opinion. I don't see that ever happening. Especially in 2013.
Then again I'd just install it in my yard. I'll never install a controller that's run via a browser for any of my customers. I don't install items which make me a less efficient repairman.
A large percentage of my regular customers aren't at home when I'm there. I'd need access to their computer inside their house while they aren't there. I'm not buying a smart phone or a tablet just to accomodate one controller. I'm not going into someone's home while they aren't there. I was accused once of stealing a guys credit card out of his desk. Turns out his son was dealing drugs. I'm thinking maybe he took it.

You seem to spend a lot of time an energy recommending a product that doesn't exist and you want me to believe you're not connected with the company in any way.

If the guy who started this post wants one. Then go for it. Someday that is. Perhaps 2016.
I can see where you're coming from, so I'm not going to tell you any more about BlueSpray stuffs. I have nothing to do with them, but if you want to evaluate one, you can email them and ask.

I guess I'm just one of those people who like new technologies. I just happen to think that the dial and button controllers are of old technology. Speaking of phones, just look around you. Pretty much everyone owns a smart phone, including kids. Many of those kids are in college today. Tomorrow they will graduate, get a job, buy a house, and they will be controlling everything with a phone. It's just evolution of technology. You can either embrace it, or get left behind.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 10:56am

Everyone doesn't own a smart phone. I can live a long and happy life without ever paying a monthly fee for a data plan.