You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ngiachin

Unregistered

Sunday, April 28th 2013, 1:03pm

Anti-Siphon Rattling

Installed a new irrigation system last year. All piping is 3/4" ply, Rainbird DF valve, PRS40 Check Valve bodies, and MP rotator heads. In this zone, there are 8 spray heads and all are MP1000 spray heads. In this zone, and only in this zone when it's on there's a pretty significant rattle beginning at the anti-siphon valve. Using the flow control on the valve doesn't make the rattle better or worse. The only way that I've been able to get it to go away is if I remove one of the spray heads leaving me to believe it is pressure related. Can't remember what my GPH was, but I know pressure is around 85psi.

I've already replaced to valve just to make sure it wasn't something there, so can anyone help me understand what's going on and how to fix it? Again, this does not happen in any of my other zones.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 28th 2013, 1:48pm

Obviously, you need to look to see if there is anything unique to the problem zone. Most valve noises relate to excess flow in a zone.

ngiachin

Unregistered

Sunday, April 28th 2013, 2:29pm

I searched around for wet sink holes after a long run time along all the poly, nothing there. If it was excess flow, wouldn't the sound persist after I remove a spray head, whereas if I take a spray head off, the noise stops.

Can noise like I described occur due to too low of flow?
Obviously, you need to look to see if there is anything unique to the problem zone. Most valve noises relate to excess flow in a zone.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 28th 2013, 6:13pm

Nothing really matches up. In any event, I have never had any anti-syphon valve make a noise that I would call a rattling. Buzzing solenoid, maybe.

What's the supply pressure when the various zones are running? Again, you're looking for something that makes the one zone different.

Rate this thread