You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 9th 2004, 4:03pm

question on trenching e.t.c.

Any tips on trenching for the pipes? I'm renting a ditch witch probably some time next week. One thing I would like to know is how deep of a trench do I dig in order for proper head placement. I am planning on 6" risers, blazing saddle taps and 4" rotor heads for underground placement. I'm thinking about 1 foot (12") or would that be a bit much? Also, i've got some fill on the lot compacted about say 4". Underneath that in some areas may be some lime rock. Would I have problems using the ditch witch in these areas? Thanks, and send me any tips using this trencher as well

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 9th 2004, 4:06pm

Why not rent a pipe puller? No trenching envolved except for where you install the heads

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 9th 2004, 4:20pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aquamatic</i>
<br />Why not rent a pipe puller? No trenching envolved except for where you install the heads
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I haven't seen any vibratory plows (pipe pullers) for rent where I live. Only follow behind trenchers like the ditch witch. Any tips?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 10th 2004, 4:20am

I rented a dith wich to run water to my barn and it was very easy to use and the trench was 4 ft deep and about 150 ft. One thing that I can think of is to try not to run over trenches once dug the the ditch witch. 1 ft would be good but if you live in the caymens youu may be able to go a little more shallow because you dont have to worry about freezing. The only other tip is to find a pipe puller if you can it will make a lot less mess and a lot less work.
Thanks,

Pete

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Wednesday, March 10th 2004, 5:26am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpete3</i>
<br />I rented a dith wich to run water to my barn and it was very easy to use and the trench was 4 ft deep and about 150 ft. One thing that I can think of is to try not to run over trenches once dug the the ditch witch. 1 ft would be good but if you live in the caymens youu may be able to go a little more shallow because you dont have to worry about freezing. The only other tip is to find a pipe puller if you can it will make a lot less mess and a lot less work.

The only reason I was thinking around 1' deep was because I didn't want the sprinkler above the ground when mounted to the risers. So, what is a safe, shallow distance that I can dig to ensure my sprinkler heads are level with the ground? How many hours do you think I could do this in (ditch witch rents by 1/2 day or whole days)? thanks

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, March 10th 2004, 5:43am

10-12" is plenty. You mentioned riser. Go with flex tubing and blazing saddles

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Wednesday, March 10th 2004, 6:01am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aquamatic</i>
<br />10-12" is plenty. You mentioned riser. Go with flex tubing and blazing saddles

The guy here advised me against flex tubing for some reason, but I do have the blazing saddles. Also, I have risers that have already been ordered [:(]

Is there a big advantage of using flex tubing over normal risers?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 11th 2004, 8:36am

Yes funny pipe is very easy to work with and gives you lots of flexibility with adjusting height.
Thanks,

Pete

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Thursday, March 11th 2004, 10:02am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpete3</i>
<br />Yes funny pipe is very easy to work with and gives you lots of flexibility with adjusting height.

What connectors/fittings do you use with funny pipe anyway? Don't know too much about it. i think the Lowe's guy steered me from it due to reliablity, but I don't know how long it generally lasts.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 13th 2004, 4:18am

I use again blazing saddles with funny pipe threads from sprinkler warehouse and then mpt 3/4" funny pipe stree elbow(90 degree)connector again found at sprinklerwarehouse or even home depot. The elbow connects to the rotor or use 1/2" for spray and the blazing saddle connects to the poly pipe. Now both fittings have barbs for funny pipe so you connect the 2 with funny pipe and you dont use any clamps. It is very simple and works excellent.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread