You are not logged in.

doa

Starting Member

Monday, April 29th 2013, 7:45pm

What Size Wire

I've been using city water for my sprinkler system for the past 17 years. Due to higher cost of water I've had a well installed. No holding tank. My question concerns the size wire needed to go to the sprinkler controller from the well (to turn on the well when the controller calls for water)? Also, do you recommend this type setup? The well will only be used for outside watering.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 29th 2013, 10:08pm

Consider a tank (it doesn't have to be gigantic) and pressure switch for control. That allows no actual connection between controller and well.

Scott76

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 12:39pm

I'm assuming the well has a pump in it and it's powered by 120V AC power. If that is the case, put a pump start relay in, Hunter makes one, and wire it according to the diagram provided. It will break the 120V AC power supply to the pump and only trigger it when the timer says it is running. You can run a standard piece of sprinkler wire from the master valve/pump port on the timer to the relay.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 6th 2013, 10:19am

Quoted from "doa"

I've considered a tank but the well is "set up" without. I was told by the well installer that it was "ready" for the connection of wire from the controller to the well. I'm not exactly sure how this works. If I go with a tank, how does the well pump know when to turn on/off?
It sounds like a pump control relay is already wired in, if it requires only a direct connection to a controller.

The advantage of tank/pressure-switch control is independence of operation. If some fault shuts off a zone, even while the controller 'thinks' it's watering, the pressure switch will shut off the pump. With relay control, nothing will tell the pump to stop trying to push water into a closed system, a phenomenon called "dead-heading." Relay control requires you to depend on a pressure relief valve to open up and spew water, in order to avoid dead-heading.

Wednesday, May 8th 2013, 12:29pm

18 gauge irrigation wire for the size.

Rate this thread