You are not logged in.

Tuesday, May 7th 2013, 9:34am

Nozzle Identification

I just recently purchased a new home with an existing sprinkler system. One of the nozzles went AWOL last week. The spray heads are Weathermatic LX-4's. Nozzles are adjustable multiple sprays that appear to rotate but are not the rotary type. Can someone tell me what these are called and how do I ask for them? I don't want the continuous mist kind.

Can I buy just the nozzles? How about just the guts?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "SteamJockey" (May 7th 2013, 9:46am)

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 7th 2013, 11:38am

Is this what you're talking about?
Nozzles
-
Weathermatic brass nozzles
-
Yes you can just swap out the guts. It's possible the sprinkler with the missing nozzle is damaged.
Or you could try just replacing the nozzle.
-
I never ever ever see Weathermatic sprinklers but I believe the nozzles will also fit Hunter Pro Sprays and the Rainbird 1800 series.

Tuesday, May 7th 2013, 1:52pm

Yes, The nozzle was damaged and not found. I bought a Weathermatic body and guts locally but they gave me a rainbird nozzle and the spray pattern didn't match the others. I finally figured out that the nozzles are interchangeable between some brands. Looking at undamaged others shows that the landscaper used Weathermatic bodies with Hunter nozzles. I wasn't expecting that. I'm new to irrigation systems. I now know that what I need is the Hunter MP Rotator 200090 nozzle. Thanks. Anything I should look out for when installing?

Scott76

Tuesday, May 7th 2013, 10:33pm

If the system worked before, there is nothing to worry about if you put another MP nozzle on the spray body. Something to consider if you are lacking pressure in the zone is to swap out heads with PRS heads. I've dealt with the MP's for a couple of years now and have learned that PRS (Pressure regulating stems) help keep the flows where they should be.

Wednesday, May 8th 2013, 12:10pm

Thanks Scott, pressure isn't a problem for me. All the zones are small. I had to purchase a complete body from the distributer, was wondering if this is always the case. I'd like to replace guts only in all sprinklers. Nothing wrong with body although I notice some stick in the up position. I'm assuming that plungers are getting worn over the years. System is close to 10 years old.

Scott76

Thursday, May 9th 2013, 12:03pm

As a contractor, when I replace heads, I purchase and sell a complete head. It's part of the "game" and just swap the guts and leave the body in the ground. Only key is to buy the exact same head as what's in the ground.

As for the ones sticking up, it sounds like the springs are starting to wear out. The water pressure pushes the heads up and the internal spring pushes it down. Either the spring is bad or the wiper assembly is clogged with dirt. If they are the 4" spray heads its usually cheaper to replace them as compared to messing with them. If they are rotors, then try to clean them up before replacing them as they are usually more expensive.

Thursday, May 9th 2013, 2:45pm

What are rotors?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 9th 2013, 3:52pm

What are rotors?
heads that move (rotate) during operation

Rate this thread