You are not logged in.

Hanman34

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 4:32pm

All 3 of my zones work for 30 seconds then stop.

I'm working on a Rain Bird system, very basic setup. It has 3 zones, 5 sprinklers per zone, 3 years old. This spring when I turned them on all 3 zones will start for about 30 seconds then lose pressure until they just seep. Tried turning the valves manually and they all do the same thing. Bleed valve shows good pressure. I can hear the valves clicking when they are supposed to be working. Also, I disconnected valve wires and touched each to the terminal of a 24 volt battery and then they worked fine, which leads me to believe it's something in the controller, possibly the transformer is bad but this also confuses me as to why they wouldn't work manually. Any suggestions? It's about to get very hot here and am desperate to not fall behind on watering right off the bat! Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 8:28pm

Are you on well water?

Hanman34

Monday, May 13th 2013, 7:28am

yes it is on a well. It feeds the city swimming pool an also this sprinkler system, although the swimming pool isn't using it yet this year. I have been watering from a hydrant that is hooked to the same line just to try to keep up and it seems to work although the pressure is a bit low.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 13th 2013, 8:09am

You need pressure gauge readings to help diagnose the problems, but a simple guess is that the system is drawing more water than the well can supply. The system runs, the water level in the well drops below a point where the pump can provide enough water.

The why could be a lower water table. It could also be a pipe break.

Rate this thread