You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 9:45pm

Febco 765-3/4 Installation

Hi all,

I was getting ready to turn our system on for this spring/summer and decided that due to the age of the backflow device, it was time for a replacement. I picked up a Febco 765 (3/4") as the replacement. After finally getting the old backflow device disconnected at both ends, I'm having trouble understanding how this is supposed to connect to the system. I didn't have any trouble connecting the incoming water line (from the house) as I was able to turn the entire piece to tighten at both ends, however, when trying to connect to both the Febco housing and outgoing water line, tightening on one end loosens the other (and subsequently leaks). I've tried getting plumbers tape into the threads, and it works well when tightened, but as soon as I back it off to tighten on the other side, it leaks. I hope this makes sense. Is it mandatory to cut the outgoing pipe so that I can attach a connector, get it tight on both ends, then solder the connector to the pipe? I'm a little nervous about doing this since our gas line / meter is directly in front of the backflow device (whoever designed this house really didn't think things through). Anyway, if anyone has done this replacement and has any input, I would greatly appreciate it! If you need any additional information, please let me, know.

Matt

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 13th 2013, 6:28am

You will have to use one or more union fittings to complete the installation.