You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Adgjqetuo

Starting Member

Friday, May 17th 2013, 6:29pm

Spring startup - Backflow Preventer "Blurps" ? (video inside)

Hello,

I'm trying to turn on my irrigation system and seem to be having a problem with my backflow preventer.

I turned both valves in line with the pipe, turned the small relief valves off with a screw driver and placed the cap back in on the bottom which was removed during winterizing.

When I went to turn the water back on in the basement (half way since we have high water pressure), I realized the line never pressurized. I went out side and realized water kept "burping" out of the bell housing.

I turned the water off and took off the cap to see what the issue is, it seems like it can't get a seal.

This video is after I turned off the main water and removed the bell cap - what you see is leftover pressure in the line - when the water was on it was a lot more violent. The motion is the same though.

Hoping someone can help!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0VfzC22k14

( I fixed your link, mrfixit. )

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (May 17th 2013, 10:06pm)

adgjqetuo2

Unregistered

Friday, May 17th 2013, 7:54pm

Fixed it! (for now)

I was able to resolve the issue - although i'm not sure it was the correct way.

I turned off both valves on the bell housing, turned the main water on in the basement. As expected, the water pressurized correctly. I took the "bell" cover off and then slowly turned on the one valve and noticed water was leaking out of the top like in the video. I adjusted the spring seal until it went upwards and stopped leaking. I noticed when I let it go, it began to leak again, so I held it upward and let the 1st bottom valve be completely at this point (no water since I was holding it upward). I then slowly released the second valve to the open position - water began to flow into the rest of the system and pressurized normally. I then let go of the seal in the bell housing and it held perfectly.

I tried turning everything on and off again to make sure noting leaked and it nothing has. I think I'm good to go (for now anyway).

Rate this thread