You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

elation

Saturday, May 18th 2013, 1:32pm

Which pluming items needed? Pics

I've been perusing the forums for a while and have learned quite a bit - thanks and glad y'all are here.

I had a zone go out on a system built back in '91. I troubleshot it down to the diaphragm. Since I have all three valves dug up, I figured I might as well replace all three. They're old and probably need some proper maintenance. I purchased three Hunter PGV valves - the boltscrews sold me.

I have:
Tape
Adhesive/cement
PVC Cutters
1" compression coupling (figured this would be easy - 2nd pic, open valve)
1" male adapter couplings that fit the valves

From the the pictures, you see two valves have a very small amount of pipe to work with. I'd love some suggestions of what parts I need to do this repair. Also if anyone has an idea of the best place to cut the pipes, I'd be very appreciative. Any other tips/info is more than welcome.

Thank you!

mrfixit

Saturday, May 18th 2013, 3:00pm

First of all the valves you have are very reliable and easy to rebuild. If you still want to replace them I have a couple of suggestions.
The job looks fairly simple.
Ok you have plenty of pipe to work with. You don't need to cut the valve off on the pressure side. Just unscrew them.
Clean the threads with a wire brush. Use 2 1/2 - 3 wraps of 3/4 inch teflon tape.
Go get some primer to compliment the glue. You'll need it. Especially on the old pipe.
The pvc parts you need should be obvious.
Also get some waterproof wire connectors.

Good luck!

P.S. Make sure the arrow's facing the right direction so you don't install them backwards.

mrfixit

Saturday, May 18th 2013, 3:05pm

Me again, If you decide to cut the valve off because it's too close to the other pipe just be very careful. Old pipe can crack and split with pvc cutters and you'll wind up having to do more work. In your case though it's only that Tee...
When I only have a tiny bit of pipe to work with I use a pvc saw. If you do this make sure to get rid off all the saw dust particles before gluing.
The plastic dust will not disolve and can clog things up.

elation

Saturday, May 18th 2013, 5:12pm

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Unfortunately, the two bad valves are leaking at the threads.

I ended up speaking with a master plumber and he showed me the areas he thought were best to cut. I am honestly so frustrated with this that I'm about ready to hire someone. I now know how folks feel when they call me because their computer quit. I think I'll sleep on it and see if I feel like messing with it tomorrow. :)

Thanks again mrfixit!

elation

Saturday, June 8th 2013, 3:54pm

Got it all fixed! My neighbor helped me out and we get everything repaired. Can you believe he's a plumber? How lucky am I? The plumber at Lowes was helpful but you can't beat having a plumber as a neighbor. Time to get to know all the neighbors. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I'm off to get a controller to replace my antiquated Rainbird RC-7Bi (which doesn't seem to be keeping time). I'm sure you'll see me over in the controller forum next.