You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nelson

Starting Member

Saturday, March 13th 2004, 2:56pm

location of backflow preventer and valves

****o:

I'm planning to put in a system for my house, andI'm very new to this whole thing. I have a few questions, hope someone can give me a few pointers.

There is already a well, not sure about the flow and pressure yet. The neighbor is using it for his house, until I build my house. I will put a 80+Gal pressure tank in the basement, and only use it for the lawn. House has it's own tap. The system will be relatively simple: 3 zones with 3-4 sprinkers each, 2 zones with drip pipe.

1) Back flow - is the Reduced Pressure type the best to use? Does it have to be so high above the higher sprinkler head? If not, I can put it in the basement, not far from the pressure tank. Or in the garage, as below.

2) I want to put the controller and valves in a box, mounted in the garage. Should I do that? Will there be a lot of water when testing and running it? I have not seen/heard of anyone do this, but having it in the garage makes it easier to work on.

Thanks for any input.

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 14th 2004, 6:36am

The backflow prevention device that you descrbed (RPZ) is the best on protection. The minimum height requirement is 12" above the ground/floor and can be installed in the basement as long as there isn't a local code against it. This height requirement is set by DNR. The garage is a good place for the controller but not the valves. The valves should be installed in ground with valves boxes. This allows for servicing the valves but hopefully you won't need to very often. Hope this helps.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, March 15th 2004, 4:03pm

The issue with installing RPZ in the basement is that you have to worry about water spurts. As I understand it, part of the workings of an RPZ is that it will spit out water if it has to to maintain the presure difference. You have to provide a place for this water to go. Because these spurts don't occur very often with the typical installation, you might be able to use just an undrained catch pan (the water will evaporate before the next spurt is likely to happen).

Rate this thread