You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mechanic380

Starting Member

Saturday, May 18th 2013, 3:08pm

Toro super 800 leaking bodies

Last season my dads water consumption was abnormal. I went around and inspected the system. I found about half of the sprinklers were leaking under pressure. Some were so bad the ground around them was washed out and you could hear them hissing from 20ft away.
I removed several and it is clear they are all leaking from the body. where the largest top piece screws onto the lower body that is attached to the riser. I am positive where the water is coming from I could feel it on all of them.
Now the question is, how should I fix this? I opened one and there does not seem to be a seal where the body and top close. I cleaned it thoroughly, tightened it as tight as I could while holding the head with pliers and turning the body by hand. No luck it still leaks. There does not appear to be a seal in this area.
Am I going to have to buy replacements for all these heads? Basically I want to know what the cheapest method of fixing this will be.
PS- functionally all the heads are perfect, just leaking from the body/top connection.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 19th 2013, 10:36am

The Toro 800's have a seal on what we call the "GUTS" of the sprinkler head. I would recommend removing the top cap of the head and then remove the guts by pulling it out of the sprinkler body. You will see a black rubbery seal in which the spring sits. If you hold this seal, you can compress this spring and see how it functions. Wash out any debris from between the seal and the sprinkler riser and rinse the guts thoroughly. Before reinstalling, make sure all components are situated correctly and there are no visible deformities to the seal. If this does not work, the seals themselves may be to worn, and replacement of the head is needed.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 19th 2013, 10:53am

I find it interesting that the Super 800 is not to be found in the Toro master parts list book

Rate this thread