You are not logged in.

dorins

Sunday, May 19th 2013, 8:36pm

Replaced old controller, now one zone does not work

I replaced an old (antique) controller with a Orbit 6 w/remote. I marked each wire and installed them in the new unit.
All the zones operate (at least in manual mode using the remote) except one. I even reinstalled the old controller and the zone is still dead. Could I have shorted a circuit, valve etc when I removed the old wires? Any suggestions?>

mrfixit

Sunday, May 19th 2013, 9:30pm

Pull the wire out of the controller. Resplice it. See what happens.
You didn't short anything out.
I'd suggest that you make sure the wire's attached to the correct terminal but you tried two different controllers. Unless it's the same model I doubt that's it.
If you can't get it working there's either a problem with the valve or the wiring..
You could move the wires around at the valves from a valve you know works to the valve that doesn't work and see if it comes on...

dorins

Monday, May 20th 2013, 7:10am

Thank you, fixit, I will try and see what happens.
Btw, I noticed for the front yard (where one zone isn't working anymore), there are 4 valves in the box, one for each zone, but at the controller two wires (not the common) were attached to the same zone control... is there a reason why I would want to open and shut two valves simultaneously rather than separately?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 20th 2013, 7:27am

Sometimes zones are combined when a system is running the zones at a very high pressure, and two at a time results in better performance.

dorins

Monday, May 20th 2013, 8:04am

Understood, thank you mrfixit!
Even if I don't re-associate the original zones back to how they were they should still be operating individually, I think?

Rate this thread