You are not logged in.

jpk

Friday, May 24th 2013, 12:14pm

drip conversion: valve problems

What happens: the cycle starts, the valve opens, water starts leaking from the anti-siphon, nothing comes out of the emitters, pressure gradually builds, then
the emitters start delivering water but slowly. Really puts the drip in drip, you might say.

Yet if I bleed a little during the cycle, suddenly full pressure arrives and the emitters start to deliver as expected! But the problem returns with the next cycle.

The valve is Richdel and I didn't change it when i converted to drip. The zone has just a dozen or so emitters so probably the flow is low.

I've tried tinkering with bleeding and flow control on the valve. Little or no improvement.

Does this ring a bell?

mrfixit

Friday, May 24th 2013, 6:01pm

Your valve is very old. 20+ years. It might be time to replace it.
Is the valve all plastic or is it plastic screwed into brass?
If it's all plastic a new diaphragm would probably fix you up but you might also need a new float washer. If it's not too much trouble just install a new valve.
If it's plastic screwed into brass you can just replace the plastic valve adapter. You'll probably need a float washer with that valve as well.
Possibly even a new float kit.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 24th 2013, 6:05pm

In general, very-low-flow drip calls for a valve that needs no minimum flow. Those valves are expensive enough to make a zone re-design more practical.

jpk

Friday, May 24th 2013, 8:42pm

I have no problem replacing a 20 year old part!

It's plastic screwed into brass. Any recommendations on replacement part?

And what's a float washer?

Thanks!

-- Jon

mrfixit

Friday, May 24th 2013, 9:31pm

I'd replace it with an Irritrol valve adapter. Some call it an actuator. Just note if you need a 3/4" or a 1" before purchasing.
Float Washer
On some of the older brass valves I can't get the float washer anymore so I have to install the whole kit.
The kit basically has three parts. The float, the float washer and the fiber cap washer.
Note that there's two different sized fiber washers on the 1" kits.
All the 3/4 inch kits have the same sized washer.

3/4" kit
1" kit
1" kit

jpk

Monday, May 27th 2013, 1:01pm

Just note if you need a 3/4" or a 1" before purchasing.

Thanks much!

The failing valve says RIchdel 3/4" adaptor although I notice it's not screwed directly into the brass, in between is (maybe) a 1" to 3/4" nut. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Thanks again!

jpk

Sunday, June 23rd 2013, 2:54pm

IT WORKS!!!

Thanks SO MUCH for your recommendations and advice! I have replaced all three valves! Everything works!

It solved the problem with the value controlling the drip. No more leakage. Now I'm getting more water on the plants and less on the sidewalk next to the valve :)

And, the other two values on sprinklers are now not 20+ year old equipment waiting to fail.

Testing showed the float kit was definitely part of the solution.

Thank you!

Rate this thread