You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, May 25th 2013, 5:47pm

Toro Moist-O-Matic Freetime 4 (Hydraulic system)

Twice a year, I have a service company come to open and close my in-ground system (Toro Moist-O-Matic Freetime 4 (Hydraulic)). I have worked on this system myself, with the help of the one technician that still understands these out-of-date systems. I have added and redirected water hose lines, fixed heads and occasional leaks. I have noticed when the irrigation company comes each spring to "open" the system, it seems they simply, and slowly, open the water supply valve. Then, they manually test each zone to check for flow and leaks.

I am looking for a manual for this old system, or someone who can correct me, if I am wrong, that I can open this type of hydraulic system myself, since my service company is not scheduled until mid June to open it for me. I could use it now due to unseasonably hot weather here in Western New York.

There is only an access nut on the outside water pipe that comes out of the house and into the ground where the service technicians usually connect a compressor to blow it out in the fall when closing down the system. As I mentioned, the opening of the system in spring does not seem to have any "visible" bleed valves on the pipe system. It is the old hydraulic type system and was installed in 1968, original to the house.

Thank you for any links to manuals or your knowledge.
Michael

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 26th 2013, 3:07am

If your local weather history argues against exposed plumbing being filled with water in May, then you should leave the system alone for now.

Sunday, May 26th 2013, 6:11am

Hi WetBoots:
No, the weather is past freezing point. My service has been turned on in May during past years. It is merely the scheduling lottery of the company. Also, if this type of system is opened by slowly turning on the water supply line and checking system for leaks (which I have fixed in the past), then I could also save $125 for the opening, and get my flower beds fed... Thank you for any advice on this type of system you may have.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 26th 2013, 9:07am

If you cancel opening service, you do risk losing access for any and all service from the local guys or at least falling down so low on the priority list that timely access is gone. You should go ahead on the basis that sometime in the near future you will be upgrading the system plumbing to current day standards, maybe spending a thousand dollars on plumbing and new controller and valves.

Bring back photos.

Rate this thread