You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Audios

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 8:54pm

Pump cycles rapidly on just 1 of 6 zones

Hi, I've just inherited my parents' house that has a T-Bird
irrigation system, which has worked very well for ~25 years (to the best of my
knowledge--I don't remember my folks ever saying it wasn't working properly).
The pump was changed 3 (?) years ago and continued to work fine but now that
I'm on the hook for everything, I've noticed that the pump rapidly cycles
(every 1 or 2 seconds) when it feeds 1 of the 6 zones. I have no idea when this
problem started but since it probably doesn't matter, I'll assume just
recently. My main problem is how to diagnose it.

The only thing I can think of that could cause a single-zone problem is
partially blocked heads, I've cleaned 6 of the 8 heads, which were heavily
blocked with junk from the river source (they may have never been cleaned), but
the pump still cycles although sometimes after running smoothly for 5 minutes.
Once when I turned it on, it started cycling immediately so I'm not convinced
I'm on the right track.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? I'll be cleaning the last two heads
tomorrow but I'm not hopeful.

Thanks!

Audios

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 8:36am

try cleaning the valve that feeds the heads

Audios

Monday, June 10th 2013, 10:45am

Big thanks for the clean-the-valve suggestion. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that one!

So, I cleaned the rest of the heads (which were very plugged) and the valve (which was fine) but nothing worked so I decided to start from scratch and check everything again. It turns out I now had two zones that caused the pump to cycle constantly and a third (of six) that would sometimes run smoothly and other times cycle. I know only one cycled in the beginning so I assumed I was dealing with a random problem.

I called two companies to come look at the only thing in common, i.e. the pump, but neither one of them called me back. I guess they have too much work this summer to give a poop about customer service and any future calls from me! :-(

So, I decided to do what I could. There was nothing obvious at the pump by the river so I looked at what I could with nothing more than a screwdriver. I did notice the contacts on the pressure switch were very badly burnt so I replaced it and so far everything seems to be working fine! Yeah!!!

That said, I don't understand why burnt contacts would make the pump cycle. I can see it preventing the pump from running but such was not the case. It was more like the pump would come on and somehow cause too much pressure, then shut off, only to have some water get through through the heads, the pressure drop, and then the cycle would repeat. But how could the pump randomly cause too much pressure or, more likely, a pressure switch randomly think the pressure was too high and prematurely tell the pump to shut off??? It's a mystery to me.

It's also a mystery as to whether or not the burnt contacts caused the problem or a mechanical problem in the switch caused the contacts to burn as they repeatedly opened and closed.

If anyone can tell me, I'd really like to know for future reference.

Thanks,
Audios

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 10th 2013, 11:11am

You might look into adding a strainer near the pump, to catch particles before they affect the system.