You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pman

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 10:34am

Can you mix popups and rotors on the same station?

wondering if both popups and rotors can perform maximally on the same line.

I have 7gpm total rotor output currently. plan to add 2 more popups sprayers to fix the bad coverage.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 11:47am

Basically, Don't Do It!

In more detail, as long as the precipitation rates are a match, you can mix head types. As it happens, ordinary popup sprays have much higher precipitation rates than ordinary rotor heads.

The way to add more sprays is to replace every existing spray nozzle with an equivalent MP Rotator nozzle. No only do you get a better match of precip rates, you also free up some water supply to feed the extra heads. Win-win.

pman

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 1:16pm

so in the first 2 lines of your response, you say don't do it, but it would technically work?
Yeah, I know the precip is like 3x, but as long as the gpm is low, I don't care.

I would just like to know if I buy a 10' radius spray, that it will spray 10' while the existing rotors are running simultaneously.

Here's my problem. The west corner is dried out because the the east corner rotor faces headwind and can't reach the west end. Both corners have 3gpm nozzles, and the west corner has no problem reaching the east corner.
To address the dry areas in yellow, I wanted to add regular sprayers that will output an extra 2gpm total.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 2:24pm

so in the first 2 lines of your response, you say don't do it, but it would technically work?
Yeah, I know the precip is like 3x, but as long as the gpm is low, I don't care.

I would just like to know if I buy a 10' radius spray, that it will spray 10' while the existing rotors are running simultaneously.

Here's my problem. The west corner is dried out because the the east corner rotor faces headwind and can't reach the west end. Both corners have 3gpm nozzles, and the west corner has no problem reaching the east corner.
To address the dry areas in yellow, I wanted to add regular sprayers that will output an extra 2gpm total.

Why not just use a larger nozzle on the rotor in the dry corner? That is, if you have water to spare. You might also just try reducing its distance with the adjusting screw, and concentrate the water closer to the head.

pman

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 5:35pm

Why not just use a larger nozzle on the rotor in the dry corner? That is, if you have water to spare. You might also just try reducing its distance with the adjusting screw, and concentrate the water closer to the head.
I've tried everything. Originally, the pgj's were installed with 2gpm nozzles. They didn't shoot far enough. That led to a dry right corner.

I upgraded to 3gpm in the left corner, and with a tailwind, it solved the dry right corner. Now all I have is dry left corner.
The right corner sprinkler already has 3gpm nozzle, and it would reach the left corner if not for the constant wind blowing it back.

If I reduce the distance of the left corner rotor, I will then have the original issue of dry right corner again.

So I've decided that two popup sprayers are the best solution here. That left corner needs water, and the higher precip should help it.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 6:08pm

If your drawing is an accurate one, that is a horribly designed zone. There should be a third rotor head in the middle of the long side. You should be able to add that rotor head, and tweak the coverage of the others, to get a better balance.

What we can't see, is what the operating pressures are. Systems that employ PGJ heads are already under suspicion of being cheaply built.

You'd be much better fixing this with nothing but rotor heads. Any pro worth the title would never use spray heads in that zone.

There might be landscaping features that make this more complicated than you describe. Purely as a exercise in design on watering an area described by two rectangles joined together, there would never ever ever be a need for a spray head - just rotors.

pman

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 7:21pm

Quoted

Systems that employ PGJ heads are already under suspicion of being cheaply built.
yes. I realized the cheapness of the whole thing after the licensed landscaper installed my sprinkler system.
It pissed me off he didn't use PGP's. The material cost difference is so minimal.

The sod was installed in a December, so coverage issues didn't manifest till after spring, and especially the hot summer.

You're right, I could run a pipe 2/3 distance from the left corner, and put another rotor, and just restrict its pattern to the dry spots. The front of the lawn is about 35 feet wide.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 7:46pm

If the wind is a constant, then that at least explains the side with three heads, as you would want to have head-to-head coverage and then some in that location. As for elsewhere, it might be less critical. They really design these heads to be able to function as stand-alone units, if need be, as long as a minimum pressure is maintained. If pressure is an issue, then you might need to consider making some of the nozzles smaller, in order to raise the zone pressure, and have a good stand-alone spray distribution from each head.

Rate this thread