You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DugR

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 3:08pm

Toro V-1550 replacement

I need to replace many V-1550 rotors because they are leaking as much water out the top than they are spraying. The V-1550 has adjustivle radius, arch and GPM. They were great for being able to adjust for the multiple situations in my yard and keep the proper load on my pump. Can someone recommend a replacement head? I need a max radius of ~28 feet. Thanks in advance, it's my first post.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 4:17pm

the go-to head to replace the V1550 is the TR50XT, as it is the only one you will find with an adjustable trajectory

for the problem you describe, though, it may take only a new O-ring, service part # 363-4195

DugR

Friday, June 7th 2013, 10:24pm

thank you very much.
The v-1550's I have are over 10 years old, my parts catolog from 2001 doesn't show a o-ring. I see the newer catelogs do show the o-ring. Do you know if the new o-ring fit on the old sprinklers?
The TR50XT looks good but I'd sure like to try the cheaper o-ring solution first. Can you recommend a good place to get the o-rings? A quick online search showed a couple of suppliers with a large difference in prices.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 8th 2013, 11:05am

Sorry, I never used the old V1550 heads. I do know they had a bad reputation for leakage. Unless you can find more V1550 heads, you are going to be replacing physically broken heads with something else, so you might as well get a few TR50-XT heads and experiment. No question that they can meet or exceed the performance specs of the V1550. Then you can take apart the old heads at your leisure and check for O-rings.

Or, you can first get some O-rings and experiment with the existing heads, and revisit this thread and post your results.

DugR

Saturday, June 22nd 2013, 4:40pm

Toro V-1550 replacement

OK, here's the results. I tracked down the Toro o-rings (i think i got the last 20 in the country, i needed 23). Since the design of the sprinkler changed when they added the o-ring i had to do quite a bit of experimentation to make it work. What ended up working (hopefully for a long time) was to wrap the two pieces that are in the old design that are replaced by a single piece in the new design with teflon tape (4.5 wraps). Then i centered the 0-ring in the slight depression between the two pieces. Then I wrapped another 1.5 layers of tape on top of the o-ring to hold it in place during assembly. Then on the retainer clip, because it when it snaps in place it has .25 inches that does not apply even pressure, i wrapped 1.5 wraps around the clip so that the tape folded over in half around the clip (that filled the gap when it was in place so water could not shoot through the gap). That seemed to do the trick to completely or almost completely stop the leaking of water out the top.
In replacing all the sprinklers I had o-rings for, i found that i actually had one of the new models. So if you are out there, thank you to the salesman that dumped all his old rotors on me when the new version were already out.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 26th 2013, 9:05am

Thank you for the update. Was the newer-model head also a leaker?

Rate this thread