You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

njitgrad

Monday, June 17th 2013, 9:38am

advice for getting new PVB installed

It has been highly recommended to me that I upgrade my antiquated backflow prevention device to a modern PVB. I am not inclined to do any plumbing on my own, so I will need to call my local pro (unless someone can recommend a reliable one in northern NJ). At the very least I would like to know what specifically I should have installed and if there is anything particular during the installation process that I should be aware to ensure the job is done right.

Below are pics of the inside and outside of my water supply. Thanks in advance.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 17th 2013, 4:19pm

What's kind of amusing is that there is as much weight of brass in the bits of fakery as there is in a real PVB.

What will work for you is entirely dependent upon how the sprinkler system lays out.

Are you on flat ground? If there is any slope, is it downhill away from the house?

Are all of the sprinklers popup sprays or rotors, installed with their tops even with the grade?

The idea here is that the plumbing correction is installed at the proper elevation. No fudging allowed.

njitgrad

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 8:56am

What's kind of amusing is that there is as much weight of brass in the bits of fakery as there is in a real PVB.
Don't know what you mean by that. Without resorting to metaphors, could you describe to me the technical problem with my imitation of a PVB. I want to understand how and why this is a problem and how it wasn't considered a problem when originally installed.

Are you on flat ground? If there is any slope, is it downhill away from the house?
Most of my property pitches gently away from the house. No abrupt changes in elevation anywhere. It would appear that the imitation PVB is elevated higher than any point on my property but I don't know how to tell that for 100% certain. I could always make a quick video and post the link if you think that would be helpful.

Are all of the sprinklers popup sprays or rotors, installed with their tops even with the grade?
Most are popup rotors, two are popup sprays. Don't know how to determine if they are even with grade. Are you talking relative to the ground they are buried in, or relative to a certain reference point.

The idea here is that the plumbing correction is installed at the proper elevation. No fudging allowed.
Completely agree, unless of course that means ripping apart my front walkway.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 10:06am

The questions were to provide for a fuller picture of the property and the system. You can more or less trust your senses on slopes and elevations. It's not desirable construction technique to have the ground sloping downhill towards the house foundation. Having all the heads as ground-level pop-ups works in your favor.

As to why the plumbing fakery, it would either be to save money, or to possibly conform with some imaginary standard of construction inside the head of some long-departed municipal official. (it would have to be imaginary, because nowhere on planet earth is a device built to function on occasional water pressure {the outdoor AVB} considered fit for continuous water pressure)

njitgrad

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 10:27am

So I still do not understand what needs to be done here (other than the fact that I need a real AVB). What I need is a visual. Does an AVB need to be installed indoors? if not, does the "fakery" need to be simply swapped out with an AVB? I am really getting frustrated here because its obvious you know your stuff and you are not painting a clear enough picture for a simpleton like myself, other than referring to my current configuration as a "fakery"......

If I call my local pro I need to tell them what I want done or else they won't know (or will they?) Being that they winterize my system every year and replace sprinkler heads on occasion wouldn't they have pointed out the "fakery" and recommended a modern solution? If I can't trust a professional company, who can I trust?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 12:40pm

some states dont allow anybody but a licensed plumber mess with backflow devices. Your sprinkler company probably has no monetary incentive to change it.

If any sprinkler heads or lines are above or less than 18" below your current device, an RPZ valve is requored. If they can get the device 18" above the highest head in the yard, then a PVB will do. Something to the order of a Wilkins 720A or Febco 765. A plumber will certainly know what is required.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 10:27pm

.......If any sprinkler heads or lines are above or less than 18" below your current device, an RPZ valve is required.......
The PVB could always be mounted at a height that provides for the required elevation diference, in the event that the current device's location isn't correct for a PVB.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 22nd 2013, 9:00am

Provided a step ladder isnt needed to reach it. There are a few out there!

Rate this thread