You are not logged in.

boosted50

Thursday, March 18th 2004, 4:55am

Rain Sensor Woes

Ok, my dog decided to chew up the wiring to my rain sensor right where it goes into the ground and back to the valves. Now, the system will not come on at all and I need to get it fixed. My system is a Rainbird and I have the EC controller that the rain sensor must be wired between the common wire and the valves common lead. Texas Water Works installed the systems, but they do not offer any level of service or repair. I have only gotten one person on the phone in over three months and he told me he had someone coming, but they never actually showed up.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to bypass the rain sensor for now?

2. Is the wiring color coded at all or is it just up to the installer?

3. Does anyone know of a place in Houston that handles these repairs reasonably as far as service and pricing?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Thursday, March 18th 2004, 2:04pm

If you wire the 2 wires together (*) right before the damaged area you should get your system back up and running. Do not carry the wires through to the sensor. To get the sensor back in service you just need a 2 strand wire so you can by pass damaged area. It does not matter about color codes at this point just connect the wires in-line (**) with each other. I hope I explained this in a way that you will understand. Let me know if I didn't. Sorry, but I am not familiar with your area so I have no recommendations.
(*) common wires ====> ==== rain sensor
(**) common wires ====|=====|==== rain sensor

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Thursday, March 18th 2004, 2:07pm

It easy enough to fix yourself. If you want to bypass- FInd the location where the sensor is connected between 2 ground end. Disconnect and connect the 2 ground ends together. You have fully deleted your sensor. By a new one here on SW and attach the same way . You might want to consider one of the new wrieless systems where you dont have to run crazy wire to where you are mounting it.

Tom

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 18th 2004, 3:13pm

I'm more amazed that the installer offers no service and that you can't find someone to repair the problem!!!!!

Have you looked in your newspaper's service directory? Usually those guys are fairly reliable.........

in the mean time follow aquamans advice

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Friday, March 19th 2004, 5:07am

Also- If your sensor is connected on your sensorlabeled connectors in your controller, Disconnect and the 2 end and jump the 2 connectors together with a small piece of wire or clip jumpers. WHat kind of controller do you have?

boosted50

Saturday, March 20th 2004, 1:24pm

I have the controller that does not have the sensor leads. It connects between the common of the pumps and common of the controller. I am going to see if I can figure out which wires to splice together and see if it works. I will report back.

Thanks.

Rate this thread