You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Pippilo

Unregistered

Monday, July 1st 2013, 9:15pm

Irritrol display keeps shutting off

Argh, does Irritrol perhaps stand for irritating instead? I am at my wits end. The drip doesn't come on, so I go out to check the box and sometime the display is simply blank, other times it registers "off," even thought it was supposed to have turned on five or ten minutes prior. If I jiggle the wires inside just right, I can get it to go and hit a manual run, but even then sometimes it will shut off mid-cycle. Do I have a bad box? I am guessing so but would appreciate knowing if this is a common problem with this brand, as I might be convinced to try another alternative when replacing. Thank you for any advice. X(

mrfixit

Monday, July 1st 2013, 10:22pm

Is this a RainDial?
It might need replacing.
I repaired a RainDial today that had similar symptoms but I had parts you wont be able to buy.
What happens when you disconnect the common wire and run it? Does it work?
Maybe try rebooting the controller. Unplug it, take the back up battery out. Let it sit for a few minutes and reprogram.
If it's the RainDial, make sure the faceplate ribbon is plugged in all the way.

Pippiloo

Unregistered

Monday, July 1st 2013, 10:51pm

Irritrol display

Yes, it is a Raindial (I think they changed their name to Irritrol a while back), I am not at all well versed with respect to controller electronics so have to confess I am not sure how to disconnect the 'common wire.' And (probably even more stupidly) not sure how to unplug it.

I do think I know what the faceplate ribbon is though (that gray, flat ribbon wire that is about 2-3 inches long, right?). I will give that a good push in the morning and see if perhaps it is loose.

Geez, I replaced (well, not me, I had a contractor do it) an old Toro with this controller not more than three or so years ago - could it really go bad that fast? (I live in Tucson, so I suppose the heavy monsoon rains we get might have taken its toll).

Thank you for the advice (and if you don't mind giving me just a little tutoring on how to disconnect the common wire and/ or unplug, I just might be brave enou to give it a go).

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 2nd 2013, 3:07am

The common wire is just the wire connected to the terminal on the right. The wire's usually white but not always. Which ever wire is farthest to the right but not the transformer wires should be it.
I don't even remember what it says on the terminal. Possibly COM.
As far as unplugging it you don't have to. Just take out the battery and disconnect that ribbon.
Make sure the transformer wires aren't loose. Don't over tighten. I think the wires are red and yellow on an outdoor controller? Don't quote me on that but they'll be obvious. It might say 24 volts.

Rate this thread