You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

buzzkillb

Unregistered

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 7:58pm

Dig Backflow Preventer?

I have a sprinkler system in the back yard and one of the outlets on the main timer is PVC with hose thread. When we moved in, there was a soaker hose hooked up to this outlet. I decided to change that out with a short hose connected to a DIG drip irrigation line. I basically bought the SW9000 in parts and put it all together. But I noticed its been leaking from the backflow preventer adapter, D45. Do I need this part attached to the system, since the entire sprinkler system should already have the backflow preventer right?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 8:35pm

What backflow preventer(s) are in place? (mfr and model no.)

buzzkillb

Unregistered

Sunday, July 7th 2013, 5:55am

What backflow preventer(s) are in place? (mfr and model no.)
I can't read the model numbers of the parts on this valve. Wouldn't the original installer put a backflow preventer on the drip hose valve or the whole system? Where would it normally be placed?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 7th 2013, 8:56am

Start at the one valve that shuts off the entire sprinkler system, and work from there. It's very likely you have no actual backflow preventer, so far as plumbing codes specify.

buzzkillb

Unregistered

Sunday, July 7th 2013, 4:10pm

Start at the one valve that shuts off the entire sprinkler system, and work from there. It's very likely you have no actual backflow preventer, so far as plumbing codes specify.
If the system was setup without a backflow preventer anywhere, would I want that for the entire sprinkler system and not just for the drip hose outlet?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 7th 2013, 5:51pm

I stopped caring about the drip when it became obvious that there is probably no backflow prevention on the system. Fix the system plumbing first. Then worry about lesser things.