You are not logged in.

toaster

Sunday, March 21st 2004, 1:56pm

H2O spraying from valve

I have a Water Master anti-siphon valve. It is in the ground, so I can't see a model number. The leak is coming from the side of the valve that has 8 silver metal screws and one small black plastic knob (not the big knob on top that turns easily, but the smaller one that doesn't seem to turn very easily). The water is spraying from the small black knob. The result, aside from filling my valve box with water, is that the sprinklers on that valve are alway on. Any ideas on what is wrong with my valve?

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 21st 2004, 2:11pm

Sounds like that antisiphon is shot. How any of these do you have?
You should consider changing over to a PVB or doubl check valve

toaster

Monday, March 22nd 2004, 3:31am

I have three zones, therefore, three valves. I don't know what a double check or PVB valve is. What additional features do these valves offer over a standard anti-siphon valve?

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Monday, March 22nd 2004, 3:20pm

A anti-siphon valve should not be in the ground. Aren't they suppose to be so many inches above the highest head? Don't they act like a AVB? I agree with Aquamatic when he suggests installing a backflow prevention device.

toaster

Monday, March 22nd 2004, 4:49pm

Now that I've used the term anti-siphon, I actually can't confirm what type of valve is in the ground. Any ideas on how to determine what type of valve I have before I pull it out? It is in a box in the ground, which makes it pretty dang hard to find any numbers, especially if I don't know what I am looking for.

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Monday, March 22nd 2004, 5:55pm

My first thought when you described your situation was "bleed screw". When you look at the top of the valve is there a cross looking handle right in the center? If there is, that is the flow controll and is probable a Weathermatic which has 8 stainless steel screws like you mentioned. The bleed screw, which is usually a small black plastic screw, allows you to relieve the pressure on the upper side of the diaphram which will allow the system pressure to open the valve. If the screw has been damaged or has been loosened it will leak into the box and your zone will run continuesly. Sounds familiar. If possible, turn your system off, see if there is a slot in the top of that screw. Either standard or phillips. If so, see if you can remove it so you can check it's condition. By the way, has anyone other than you ran that zone manually recently? When I say manually I mean activated that zone from that valve itself? I am not saying that is the problem but, that is the first thing that came to my mind.

toaster

Monday, March 22nd 2004, 6:55pm

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were in my front yard! You describe the situation very well. As a matter of fact, my gardeners were over on Saturday and supposedly fixed a few of the sprinkler heads. Come to think of it, the lid for the sprinkler box was open when I went over to check things out. I think I'll make a call to my gardener tomorrow and find out what the heck he did. Thanks!

Rate this thread