You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Amateur

Tuesday, July 30th 2013, 12:07pm

Rain Bird SST controller

I’ve just bought a Rain Bird SST-600i controller and am trying to put it through its paces. When it’s on “Auto Run” and Zone 1 has been completed, evidently it won’t automatically go to Zone 2 until the starting time for that Zone that I’ve set up. In other words, if Zone 1 starts at 8:00 am and runs 60 minutes, and Zone 2 is set to start at 10:00 am, it won’t go to Zone 2 right after finishing Zone 1, but not until 10:00 am. That means I have to set each zone to start at the specific time the previous zone finishes on “Auto Run.” Is this correct? If so that’s ridiculous!

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 30th 2013, 12:32pm

Try setting all the zones to 8 am then they'll run in sequence.
Why would zone 2 come on at 9 am when you've told it to come on at 10 am?

Amateur

Tuesday, July 30th 2013, 1:05pm

Try setting all the zones to 8 am then they'll run in sequence.
Why would zone 2 come on at 9 am when you've told it to come on at 10 am?
Well, start times have to be specified for each zone separately, and I thought maybe on "Auto Run" it would over-ride the set times so all zones run sequentially. Thus I wouldn't have to set each zone separately if I wanted to change the cycle to start at a different time (Zone 1 setting). I need to do this periodically, and my old controller required only a single change to run all the zones sequentially. Too bad the SST doesn't have an option to run all zones sequentially no matter what the initial cycle start time is. Thanks for the tip on setting all zones to start at the same time. (But I'd still have to set each zone separately if I need to change the cycle starting time.)

Amateur

Wednesday, July 31st 2013, 1:06pm

Another item: On the box for the SST it says, "No need to reprogram after a power outage. All timer settings are stored in memory indefinitely. No backup battery needed." But I find that if there is a power outage for more than a very few minutes the clock setting is lost. And that effectively stops everything else no matter what. If I'm out of town and the power goes out for even a very brief time, my lawn will not be watered because of this. Am I missing something? Do you know of any controllers that keep ALL the settings, INCLUDING the clock and date, in permanent (or at least long-term) memory?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 31st 2013, 3:58pm

No controller will keep the time during power outages unless it has backup power. Even controllers that never lose their programming will have backup batteries. A simple controller with a long-life battery backup is a Hunter XC 600i

Amateur

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 8:03am

Thanks for the recommendation of the Hunter XC 600 controller. I see, though, that the XC models are discontinued, and replaced by the X-core models. Do you know if these still have the battery backup as you've described? http://www.hunterindustries.com/irrigation-product/discontinued-models/xc

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 9:56am

Did you click the link and read the description? The model number is XC-600i, while the name given the series is now X-Core. Only a few enhancements came with the name change, so there was no need to come up with different model numbers, and the lithium backup battery part didn't change.

Amateur

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 10:22am

Thank you for your information. Looks like a good choice.

scercpio

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 3:12pm

Another item: On the box for the SST it says, "No need to reprogram after a power outage. All timer settings are stored in memory indefinitely. No backup battery needed." But I find that if there is a power outage for more than a very few minutes the clock setting is lost. And that effectively stops everything else no matter what. If I'm out of town and the power goes out for even a very brief time, my lawn will not be watered because of this. Am I missing something? Do you know of any controllers that keep ALL the settings, INCLUDING the clock and date, in permanent (or at least long-term) memory?
Get an internet based controller. You don't have to worry about time clock, not even when daylight saving time changes.

Amateur

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 7:31pm

Good idea,
scercpio, but I'm afraid I wouldn't begin to have the smarts to make it
work. Besides, my present internet provider isn't reliable enough to
depend on for consistent service.

Incidentally, do you (or anyone
else reading this) happen to know why controllers that have a
non-volatile memory for program settings, don't have it for the clock
and date too? Is there some kind of digital problem that way?

Rate this thread