You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Loren

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 8:55pm

If I tell you what is wrong, can you help?

My next door neighbor stepped up and volunteered to do all the labor putting up a new fence between our properties. In the process, they broke off a sprinkler head, their mastiff chewed through my garden hose and more importantly, the wires were broken off the tops of both solenoids of my sprinkler system.

I repaired the hose and capped the broken sprinkler, and I thought I'd replaced the solenoids correctly but now the only way to turn the system on or off is via the shut-off valve. Prior to replacing the solenoids, I could turn each valve on or off via the bleeder screw but the bleeder screws appear to have no effect now. Only the main shut off works.

The controller is Toro Lawnmaster II and the valve says Richdel 713APR on the top. The replacement solenoids I bought stated they would work in Richdel systems.

Everything worked just fine until the darned fence went up, my lawn was looking fabulous and it was being watered twice a day 3x/week. Now it is half dead due to haphazard manual watering and I would appreciate any help at all.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 9:00pm

If you take the pessimistic viewpoint, then you or your helpful neighbor screwed up the wiring, and you need to put on your electrician hat and find the problems and make them better. A multimeter is what you want to employ to test the wiring.

What make and model of solenoids did you use?

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 9:09pm

What do you mean they only work with the main shut off?
Even with the wrong solenoids you should be able to turn the valve on with the bleeder screw.
Try turning the bleeder screw more. Even take it out.
Are you calling the flow control the main shut off? The bleeder wont work if the flow control is off.
If the flow control is on and you still can't operate them with the bleeder then the diaphragms are bad.
I had a problem with the new style solenoids fitting onto the old richdel 713. They wouldn't screw on more than a thread or two. I ruined two brand new solenoids trying to get them to fit. I had to use the old style solenoid for it to work.

I suspect the diaphragms are bad and you're opening the valve via the flow control. If that's the case you can get them to work with new diaphragms or replace the old valves. Provided the wiring's ok.

Loren

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 9:19pm

I'm not sure of the make & model of solenoid... I looked at several @ Home Depot and picked them because the mentioned Richdel. My son actually installed them & threw out the packaging so I can't reference back.

As for the bleeder screws, they do not turn the water off and on, the water just flows on through now. I am not operating with the flow control, I am using the main valve that is upstream from the sprinkler valves.

I feel like the plungers on the solenoid aren't... plunging.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 10:50pm

Old Richdel valves have an O-ring in the area where the solenoid threads in. New Irritrol (the successor to Richdel) valves don't have that O-ring, because the solenoid was modified to include a built-in O-ring. When one of the newer solenoids gets installed on an old Richdel valve, the old O-ring has to be removed, so that everything goes together correctly.

Loren

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 11:10pm

Old Richdel valves have an O-ring in the area where the solenoid threads in. New Irritrol (the successor to Richdel) valves don't have that O-ring, because the solenoid was modified to include a built-in O-ring. When one of the newer solenoids gets installed on an old Richdel valve, the old O-ring has to be removed, so that everything goes together correctly.
Thank you, will check for superfluous O-rings tomorrow,

mrfixit

Friday, August 16th 2013, 6:19am

So what did you figure out?

Loren

Unregistered

Friday, August 16th 2013, 6:29pm

O rings were there and have been removed, but controller is still not controlling. I've been working night shift for the past couple days so haven't had much opportunity to get out & mess around but am off this weekend and will see what I can do. Basically still in troubleshooting mode.

Miss911

Friday, August 16th 2013, 10:52pm

O rings were there and have been removed, but controller is still not controlling. I've been working night shift for the past couple days so haven't had much opportunity to get out & mess around but am off this weekend and will see what I can do. Basically still in troubleshooting mode.
Ah HA! Must be on the right track. One zone is working now. The other still isn't recognizing the controller so I will troubleshoot the electrical next. But the end is near and I thank everyone for the help.

Miss911

Sunday, August 18th 2013, 12:07am

Well damn now it appears that the valve that is not responding to the controller might just have a stripped solenoid. At least I HOPE it is stripped because if it isn't the solenoid, it is the valve. But on a lighter note at least my lawn was automatically watered tonight, as per the schedule. Holla!

Rate this thread